Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by David Martin <da...@nextel.com> on 1999/02/20 00:28:07 UTC

documentation/3926: Install documentation suggestions to help newbies

>Number:         3926
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Install documentation suggestions to help newbies
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Comments on Server Installation (install.html)

Downloading Apache
Would it be possible to briefly explain the choice between choosing a
binary option and a source code option?  Although I was pretty sure the
binary installation was what I wanted, I wasn't sure.

#Installing Apache#
I would recommend a short blurb and example on saving the binary file and
unzipping/archiving the file, and what the unzipped/unarchived version should
look like (e.g., directory structure).

The documentation says
"You will have a binary file called httpd in the src directory. ..."

I didn't have a file called httpd in the src directory.  I did have a file
called  httpd-i586-whatever-linux2 this confused me for a while.

The documentation says
"The next step is to install ..."

I didn't understand what was meant by install.  The unzipping/unarchiving?,
I had to this to get the httpd file in the src directory alluded to above.
If install is meant differently, maybe an example or explanation would help.

The documentation says
"... the program and configure it"

The next paragraph talks about configuration as well.
I was confused as to whether there were configuration things to do in this
step, or if it was referring to the configuration covered in the next
paragraph.

"To help you get started there are same files ..."
spelling error?, same should be some?

>How-To-Repeat:
N/A
>Fix:
Some suggestions are in the Description field.

In General good documenation.