Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Jack Nerad <jn...@bellsouth.net> on 2003/07/11 05:06:47 UTC

Docs Format

Stas Bekman wrote:

> [moving this discussion to the mod_perl docs list so others can
> contribute. Also CC'ing Lyle and Jack who has offered help with this
> project and probably have already gave up, trying to figure out where
> they could help. Hopefully this Gerald's code will provide the missing
> fuel]
>
>> I have started to work on XSBuilder again. The first thing I have
>> done is to
>> create a module called ModPerl::PODTemplate, which contains a set of
>> methods
>> which allows to easily change the format of the generated POD. I
>> attach you
>> the new version, along with two files I have generated. I didn't have
>> made
>> any changes in the format so far. I would like to get your feedback,
>> on how
>> the output should look like, them I can implement it imediately (or of
>> course you can change mpbuilder/lib/ModPerl/PODTemple.pm on your own and
>> play with it)
>

> But I have already provided the feedback, when you first posted it
> long time ago. http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl-docs-dev/fyhahmen
>
> Here are some more comments:
>
> The examples look OK I suppose, I think we have already agreed to have
> $t->foo and not $t -> foo.
>
> From the recent work on the docs, I think I prefer to have all the
> functions in =head2 to be enclosed in C<> so they look good in the
> TOC. Granted it makes it more cumbersome to write L<> links manually,
> but the end user gets better docs.
>
> same for all variables, they should be C<>, to save us a lot of
> manual work.
>
> Should description of the method come before its arguments?
>
> things like <PRE> are HTML, not pod. see Table.pod that you have
> attached.
>
> Things like PV/IV make little sense to users. Perhaps replace them
> with SCALAR? So we may have SCALAR, ARRAY, VOID

What are PV and IV?

> @since: 1.99 : should probably be more specific, i.e. 1.99_09

Where does that version come from?

> Finally, are you sure that we want to maintain this intermediary
> format. It's going to be a big pain. I suggest to drop the idea and go
> with the plain pod. We have very little human resources to work on
> docs, so the less we have to maintain the better.

That's fine with me.

A sample function entry would look like this, as I understand it:

=head2 C<pool()>

$val = $obj->pool($newval)

=over 4

=item Calling Object Type: Apache::RequestRec

=item Return Value Type:  APR::Pool

=item since: 1.99

yes?

--
Jack

Re: Docs Format

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jack Nerad wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>> the only tweaks we are going to do are semantic ones (i.e. messing
>> with pod tags), and that should be trivially to fix. The biggest
>> challenge is to get a sensible conversion of the C docs to Perl docs.
>> So I won't worry about this now. We will polish this later.
>

> Should I then just post a patch to the PODTemplate.pm?

I think that will work. If you have a webspace you can upload too, you may
want to upload a link to it and the tar with everything, so we can download
and play with.

>> Feel free to ask questions and we will provide the answers. But really
>> this is just a template to use for creating the docs.
>>
>> I suppose what's confusing is that Gerald has suggested the
>> intermediate format, which I suggest to simply drop and everything
>> becomes simpler at once (of course at the price of having less
>> flexible sources)
>

> Assuming we drop the intermediate format (just for a moment) what would
> the "stages" of AUTOGENERATION be?
>
> Stage 1.  Pull docs into raw_src
> Stage 2.  Edit the docs by hand

There are going to be only 2 stages that concern us at this point. The ones
you have mentioned.

> Stage 3. Write scripts using the POD::* modules that convert the docs to
> alternate formats (or leave that to those who want those alternate
> formats)?

so that won't be the case, other than the "normal" pod->html|ps|pdf that we
already have.

> I think with all the POD::* modules available, it shouldn't be too hard
> to deal without the intermediate format.  What was the original thinking
> behind having the intermediate format?

Gerald was thinking to import docs into doxygen if I remember correctly. If
you search this list's archives, you can find all the discussion regarding
this topic.

Re: Docs Format

Posted by Jack Nerad <jn...@bellsouth.net>.

?

Re: Docs Format

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: Docs Format

Posted by Jack Nerad <jn...@bellsouth.net>.

Re: Docs Format

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jack Nerad wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> [moving this discussion to the mod_perl docs list so others can
>> contribute. Also CC'ing Lyle and Jack who has offered help with this
>> project and probably have already gave up, trying to figure out where
>> they could help. Hopefully this Gerald's code will provide the missing
>> fuel]
>>
>>> I have started to work on XSBuilder again. The first thing I have
>>> done is to
>>> create a module called ModPerl::PODTemplate, which contains a set of
>>> methods
>>> which allows to easily change the format of the generated POD. I
>>> attach you
>>> the new version, along with two files I have generated. I didn't have
>>> made
>>> any changes in the format so far. I would like to get your feedback,
>>> on how
>>> the output should look like, them I can implement it imediately (or of
>>> course you can change mpbuilder/lib/ModPerl/PODTemple.pm on your own and
>>> play with it)
>>

>> But I have already provided the feedback, when you first posted it
>> long time ago. http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl-docs-dev/fyhahmen
>>
>> Here are some more comments:
>>
>> The examples look OK I suppose, I think we have already agreed to have
>> $t->foo and not $t -> foo.
>>
>> From the recent work on the docs, I think I prefer to have all the
>> functions in =head2 to be enclosed in C<> so they look good in the
>> TOC. Granted it makes it more cumbersome to write L<> links manually,
>> but the end user gets better docs.
>>
>> same for all variables, they should be C<>, to save us a lot of
>> manual work.
>>
>> Should description of the method come before its arguments?
>>
>> things like <PRE> are HTML, not pod. see Table.pod that you have
>> attached.
>>
>> Things like PV/IV make little sense to users. Perhaps replace them
>> with SCALAR? So we may have SCALAR, ARRAY, VOID
>

> What are PV and IV?

PV = string
IV = integer value

For more info see: http://gisle.aas.no/perl/illguts/

So for docs I think we should replace those with "string", "number", etc.

>> @since: 1.99 : should probably be more specific, i.e. 1.99_09
>

> Where does that version come from?

we set it once automatically when we generate the first docs set and from then
maintain it manually.

>> Finally, are you sure that we want to maintain this intermediary
>> format. It's going to be a big pain. I suggest to drop the idea and go
>> with the plain pod. We have very little human resources to work on
>> docs, so the less we have to maintain the better.
>

> That's fine with me.

It's fine with us end users, Gerald wanted to have an intermediate format for
other reasons.