Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/26 11:34:58 UTC

JPA problem in performing DML operations

Hi,

I have simple JEE application client that uses JPA to perform DB
operations on a database running in the embedded Derby. I tried to attached
the app to the mail but failed.
The JEE client does not look up anyEJBs. It has Account.java entity and
AccountClient.java that performs
DB operations on the Entity.

The following steps explain how to deploy and run the APP.
1. Create AccountDB database using DBManager portlet on the admin console

2. Create Account table in the AccountDB as follows
  *create table ACCOUNT (ACCOUNTNO integer, NAME varchar (50),
ADDRESS varchar (225), BRANCHCODE integer, BALANCE decimal (15,2));*

3. Deploy the app.jar

4. run the client using following options

LISTING ACCOUNTS:

j*ava -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:**\Geronimo-2.1\lib\endorsed" -jar
C:\Geronimo-2.1\bin\client.jar
AccountJPA/AccountJPA-app**-client/3.0/jar list
*
CREATING AN ACCOUNT:

* java -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:**\Geronimo-2.1\lib\endorsed" -jar
C:\Geronimo-2.1\bin\client.jar
AccountJPA/AccountJPA-app**-client/3.0/jar create 2222 Joe NC 10 4000
*
UPDATING AN ACCOUNT:

* java -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:**\Geronimo-2.1\lib\endorsed" -jar
C:\Geronimo-2.1\bin\client.jar
AccountJPA/AccountJPA-app**-client/3.0/jar update 2222 8000*

DELETING AN ACCOUNT

j*ava -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:**\Geronimo-2.1\lib\endorsed" -jar
C:\Geronimo-2.1\bin\client.jar
AccountJPA/AccountJPA-app**-client/3.0/jar delete 2222
*
The AccountClient.java has all the info.

I am able to successfully deploy the APP and perform "list" operation.
The list operation lists all the accounts currently in the database.

Where as if I tried to perform "create", or "update" or "delete"
operations, the JPA is not inserting or updating or deleting
corresponding rows in the table. Neither it's throwing any error on
the console.

What could be the error?? Thanks in advance for your help.

persistence.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistence    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.0"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd">

      <persistence-unit name="JPA-App-Client">

              <description>JPA Application Client</description>

              <class>sample.jpa.appclient.Account</class>

<properties>
<property name="openjpa.ConnectionURL"
value="jdbc:derby://localhost/AccountDB" />
<property
  name="openjpa.ConnectionDriverName"
value="org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver" />
<property name="ConnectionUserName" value="app" />
<property name="openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings" value="false" />

</properties>
      </persistence-unit>

      <!--
      <jta-data-source>PhoneBookPool</jta-data-source>
      <non-jta-data-source>PhoneBookPool</non-jta-data-source>
      -->
</persistence>

ACCOUNT.java

package sample.jpa.appclient;

import java.io.Serializable;

import javax.persistence.Entity;
import javax.persistence.Id <http://javax.persistence.id/>;
import javax.persistence.Table;

@Entity
@Table(name="Account1")
public class Account implements Serializable{

      @Id
      private int accountNo;
      private String name;
      private String address;
      private int branchCode;
      private double balance;

      public Account(){
              this.accountNo = 0;
              this.name = "DUMMY";
              this.address = "DUMMY";
              this.branchCode = 0;
      }

      public int getAccountNo() {
              return accountNo;
      }
      public void setAccountNo(int accountNo) {
              this.accountNo = accountNo;
      }
      public String getName() {
              return name;
      }
      public void setName(String name) {
              this.name = name;
      }
      public String getAddress() {
              return address;
      }
      public void setAddress(String address) {
              this.address = address;
      }
      public int getBranchCode() {
              return branchCode;
      }
      public void setBranchCode(int branchCode) {
              this.branchCode = branchCode;
      }

      public double getBalance() {
              return balance;
      }

      public void setBalance(double balance) {
              this.balance = balance;
      }

}

AccountClient.java
package sample.jpa.appclient;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import javax.persistence.EntityManager;
import javax.persistence.EntityManagerFactory;
import javax.persistence.Persistence;
import javax.persistence.PersistenceContext;
import javax.persistence.Query;

public class AccountClient {

      private EntityManager em;

      public AccountClient()
      {
              EntityManagerFactory emf =
Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("JPA-App-Client");
              if(emf == null) System.out.println("emf is null!!!");
              em = emf.createEntityManager();
              if(em == null) System.out.println("em is null!!!");
      }
              AccountClient client = new AccountClient();

              String opt = args[0];
              if(opt.equals("create")){
                      if (args.length != 6){
                              System.out.println("Enter values for
accountNo, name, address,
branchCode and balance;");
                              System.exit(0);
                      }
                      else{
                              int accNo = Integer.parseInt(args[1]);
                              String name = args[2];
                              String address = args[3];
                              int branchCode = Integer.parseInt(args[4]);
                              double balance = Double.parseDouble(args[5]);

client.createAccount(accNo,name,address,branchCode,balance);
                      }
              } else if (opt.equals("list")){
                      List accList = client.listAccounts();
                  for(int i = 0; i < accList.size(); i++){

System.out.println("____________________________________________");
                      Account acc = (Account)accList.get(i);
                      System.out.println(acc.getAccountNo());
                      System.out.println(acc.getName());
                      System.out.println(acc.getAddress());
                      System.out.println(acc.getBranchCode());
                      System.out.println(acc.getBalance());

System.out.println("____________________________________________");
                      System.out.println("");
                  }
              }else if (opt.equals("update")){
                      if (args.length != 3){
                              System.out.println("Enter values for
accountNo and new balace value ;");
                              System.exit(0);
                      }
                      else{
                              int accNo = Integer.parseInt(args[1]);
                              double newbalance =
Double.parseDouble(args[2]);
                              client.updateAccountBalance(accNo,newbalance);
                      }

              }else if (opt.equals("delete")){
                      if (args.length != 2){
                              System.out.println("Enter values for
accountNo for delete");
                              System.exit(0);
                      }
                      else {
                              int accNo = Integer.parseInt(args[1]);
                              client.deleteAccount(accNo);
                      }
              }else
              {
                      System.out.println("Unknown option selected...!!");
              }

      }

      public Account createAccount(int accNo, String name,
                      String address, int branchCode,
                      double balance){

              Account acc1 = em.find(Account.class, accNo);
              if(acc1 != null) throw new
IllegalArgumentException("Account already
exists: Account Number ("+accNo+")");
              Account acc = new Account();
              acc.setAccountNo(accNo);
              acc.setAddress(address);
              acc.setBalance(balance);
              acc.setBranchCode(branchCode);
              acc.setName(name);
              System.out.println("Persisting account entity (accNo =
"+accNo+")");
              em.persist(acc);
              System.out.println("Persisted successfully account
entity (accNo =
"+accNo+")");
              return acc;

      }

      public List listAccounts(){
              if(em == null) System.out.println("em is null!!!");
              Query q = em.createQuery("SELECT a FROM Account a");
              List currList = q.getResultList();
              return currList;
      }

      public Account updateAccountBalance(int accNo, double newBalance){
              Account acc = em.find(Account.class, accNo);
              if(acc == null) throw new IllegalArgumentException("Account
not
found : Account Number ("+accNo+")");
      acc.setBalance(newBalance);
              em.merge(acc);
               return acc;

      }

      public void deleteAccount(int accNo){
              Account acc = em.find(Account.class, accNo);
              if(acc == null) throw new IllegalArgumentException("Account
not
found : Account Number ("+accNo+")");
              em.remove(acc);
      }

}

geronimo-application-client.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<application-client
xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-client-2.0"
 xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"
 xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
 xmlns:security="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0"
 xmlns:connector="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/connector-1.2">

 <sys:client-environment>
              <sys:moduleId>
              <sys:groupId>AccountJPA</sys:groupId>
              <sys:artifactId>AccountJPA-app-client</sys:artifactId>
              <sys:version>3.0</sys:version>
              <sys:type>jar</sys:type>
              </sys:moduleId>

          <sys:dependencies>

              <sys:dependency>
                      <sys:groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</sys:groupId>
                      <sys:artifactId>transaction</sys:artifactId>
                      <sys:version>2.1</sys:version>
                      <sys:type>car</sys:type>
              </sys:dependency>

              </sys:dependencies>

</sys:client-environment>

 <sys:server-environment>
              <sys:moduleId>
              <sys:groupId>AccountJPA</sys:groupId>
              <sys:artifactId>AccountJPA-app-client-server</sys:artifactId>
              <sys:version>3.0</sys:version>
              <sys:type>jar</sys:type>
              </sys:moduleId>
</sys:server-environment>
</application-client>

Thanks
Phani

Re: JPA problem in performing DML operations

Posted by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay,

Yes..Understood the missing part. I incorporated transactions using
EntityTransaction. Now the app is working fine.

Thanks for help
Phani

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Phani,