Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io> on 2017/02/01 23:44:50 UTC

[VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 0.10.2.0.

This is a minor version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 19 new KIPs.
See the release notes and release plan (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+0.10.2.0)
for more details. A few feature highlights: SASL-SCRAM support, improved
client compatibility to allow use of clients newer than the broker, session
windows and global tables in the Kafka Streams API, single message
transforms in the Kafka Connect framework.

Release notes for the 0.10.2.0 release:
http://home.apache.org/~ewencp/kafka-0.10.2.0-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday February 6th 5pm PST ***
(Note the longer window to vote to account for the normal 7 days ending in
the middle of the weekend.)

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
http://home.apache.org/~ewencp/kafka-0.10.2.0-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:
http://home.apache.org/~ewencp/kafka-0.10.2.0-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 0.10.2 branch) is the 0.10.2.0 tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=33ebac1f138f17b86002df05e55a9f5cff47f48a

* Documentation:
http://kafka.apache.org/0102/documentation.html

* Protocol:
http://kafka.apache.org/0102/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 0.10.2 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-0.10.2-jdk7/60/
System tests:
https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka-branch-builder/697

Thanks,
Ewen Cheslack-Postava

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Eno Thereska <en...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately we had a regression in streams and KAFKA-4716 is now deemed a Blocker. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4716 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4716>

Eno

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Ewen,

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
All,

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Ewen,

[...]

org.apache.kafka.streams.state.internals.RocksDBStore.init(RocksDBStore.java:148)
[...]
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread.createStreamTask(StreamThread.java:834)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread$TaskCreator.createTask(StreamThread.java:1207)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread$AbstractTaskCreator.retryWithBackoff(StreamThread.java:1180)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread.addStreamTasks(StreamThread.java:937)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread.access$500(StreamThread.java:69)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread$1.onPartitionsAssigned(StreamThread.java:236)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.ConsumerCoordinator.onJoinComplete(ConsumerCoordinator.java:255)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.AbstractCoordinator.joinGroupIfNeeded(AbstractCoordinator.java:339)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.AbstractCoordinator.ensureActiveGroup(AbstractCoordinator.java:303)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.ConsumerCoordinator.poll(ConsumerCoordinator.java:286)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.pollOnce(KafkaConsumer.java:1030)
        at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.poll(KafkaConsumer.java:995)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread.runLoop(StreamThread.java:582)
        at
org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread.run(StreamThread.java:368)

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Huh, that's surprising to me given that site-docs are part of the artifacts
voted on. Having a way to update docs between releases is actually
different from considering a known docs bug an issue w/ the release if
someone cares about the site-docs artifacts being correct. But the
site-docs seem somewhat pointless anyway. As a standalone package they
don't work properly because they import files that only exist in the
kafka-site repo...

I've tracked down all but one of the issues w/ docs. One was a bad rule in
the .htaccess file which I've fixed (and that isn't in the release
artifacts). A few others are changes that got made to kafka-site but
weren't properly ported back to the docs/ directory in the main repo. As
soon as I sort out the last problem (the double menu issue) I will submit a
PR to get us back in sync w/ kafka-site.

-Ewen

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.
-1 (non-binding). Whilst testing 0.10.1.1, we found that there's a bug with
quotas that means clients can cause broker OOMs very easily. If a producer
has exceeded the produce quota, the produce request memory is retained
inside the delay queue.  (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4725).
Seeing as this bug critically impacts broker stability in the face of quota
enforcement, I'd like to see a fix landed (we're working on a patch
already, see
https://github.com/apache/kafka/compare/0.10.1.1...heroku:fix-throttled-response-leak,
but it's not quite ready yet).

This bug is still present in 0.10.2.0 RC0

To quote KIP-13 on this matter:

> Note that in case of producers, we should be careful about retaining
references to large Message bodies because we could easily exhaust broker
memory if parking hundreds of requests.

Tom Crayford

Re: [VOTE] 0.10.2.0 RC0

Posted by Mathieu Fenniak <ma...@replicon.com>.