Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by "Ju@N" <ju...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/22 09:41:48 UTC

Reviews and Conflicts in Pull Requests

Hello geode devs,

The Geode Wiki has a lot of useful information, not only about the
usage/internal architecture of Geode, but also explanations and guidelines
about how Code Contributions [1] should be made. However, some common cases
are not explained in detail and, as such, contributors (and also reviewers)
might have a hard time trying to deal with these situations in an
*standardize* manner. In particular, I'm referring to the following two
scenarios, which can happen for every single pull request:

   - *Reviewers request a change: *do contributors have to make the changes
   and just add another commit to the original pull request?. Do
   contributors have to make changes and squash everything in one single
   commit (executing a *push --force *afterwards)?. Do contributors have to
   close the pull request and open a new one with everything squashed?.

   - *Pull Request looks good but, after a while without being merged,
   somebody else makes a change in develop, causing the original pull request
   to become conflictive with the current develop branch: *should the
   committer merging the pull request solve these conflicts as well?. Do
   contributors have to solve the conflict locally?, if so, do they have to
   add a new commit to the pull request or squash everything in one single
   commit (executing a *push --force *afterwards)?.

It would be good if we could add these details to the Wiki so everyone
knows how to proceed whenever they hit this situations (git commands will
also be helpful). Would anyone be able to add this to the Wiki?, or reply
to this thread so the approved/recommended process is documented somewhere?.
Cheers.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Code+contributions

--
Ju@N

Re: Reviews and Conflicts in Pull Requests

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jr...@pivotal.io>.
Hello Bruce,

Sounds good to me, thanks for the quick reply!.
Best regards.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >     - *Pull Request looks good but, after a while without being merged,
> >     somebody else makes a change in develop, causing the original pull
> request
> >     to become conflictive with the current develop branch: *should the
> >     committer merging the pull request solve these conflicts as well?. Do
> >     contributors have to solve the conflict locally?, if so, do they
> have to
> >     add a new commit to the pull request or squash everything in one
> single
> >     commit (executing a *push --force *afterwards)?.
> >
> > It would be good if we could add these details to the Wiki so everyone
> > knows how to proceed whenever they hit this situations (git commands will
> > also be helpful). Would anyone be able to add this to the Wiki?, or reply
> > to this thread so the approved/recommended process is documented

Juan José Ramos Cassella
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Email: jramos@pivotal.io
Office#: +353 21 4238611
Mobile#: +353 87 2074066
After Hours Contact#: +1 877 477 2269
Office Hours: Mon - Thu 08:30 - 17:00 GMT. Fri 08:30 - 16:00 GMT
How to upload artifacts:
https://support.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/articles/204369073
How to escalate a ticket:
https://support.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/articles/203809556

[image: support] <https://support.pivotal.io/> [image: twitter]
<https://twitter.com/pivotal> [image: linkedin]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/3048967> [image: facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/pivotalsoftware> [image: google plus]
<https://plus.google.com/+Pivotal> [image: youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAdzTan_eSPScpj2J50ErtzR9ANSzv3kl>

Re: Reviews and Conflicts in Pull Requests

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@apache.org>.