Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Guérard <je...@tigreraye.org> on 2004/08/31 19:50:50 UTC

id already exists

Hello!

I'm trying to generate PDF and PS document with FOP (from a DocBook XML
source converted to FO). For a couple of documents, I always end up with
the following error:

[ERROR] file:/home/fevrier/essai.fo:48:206 The id "id2455426" already
exists in this document

I tried to build the FO file with both xsltproc and xalan, with the same
result each time.

The FO file is available here: http://tigreraye.org/essai.fo

I checked within the FO file, and failed to find the duplicate ID.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard
http://tigreraye.org

Re: id already exists

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Oh--I didn't know.  Thanks.

Re: id already exists

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: id already exists

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Jean-Philippe Guérard schrieb:

>BTW, should I file a bug about this issue?
>
>Thanks.

Please do, so we can keep it in mind.  Maintenance branch (0.20.5) is
frozen, but in case this appears in our upcoming 1.0 version, it would
be good for us to have a source FO to work with.

Thanks,
Glen

Re: id already exists

Posted by Jean-Philippe Guérard <je...@tigreraye.org>.
Le 2004-09-04 16:03:55 -0400, Glen Mazza écrivait :
> One possibility is that you forgot to set a needed attribute within your
> Docbook source, that would be used by the XSL stylesheets to generate a
> unique ID value.

I don't think so. The FO file contains no duplicate ID.

My DocBook source is available here:
http://tigreraye.org/essai.xml

> I would try to minimize your docbook xml to zero in on the precise
> problem.

That's precisely what I did. This XML file is the minimal DocBook source
that enabled me to reproduce this issue.

It would seem that this problem happens when a QANDASET is over a page
border. However, since fop complains about a duplicate id in the file,
and no id is duplicated in the FO file, I would rather think it is a fop
issue.

> A search on "already exists in this document" in the DOCBOOK-APPS
> mailing list (google for it) may also help you find the problem.

I already did, and found various messages pointing at fop. But nothing
really conclusive.

By the way, I am able to fix this problem by adding one or two empty
<para/> in the previous <answer>.

Re: id already exists

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: id already exists

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> Do you have something specific in mind when you mention post-processing?

The DocBook style sheets create a lot of ids which aren't
used but can get in the way if they are in tentatively
laid out content. It may be possible to solve the problem
by running a modification of the copy-through style sheet
on the FO which strips unused ids.

J.Pietschmann

Re: id already exists

Posted by Jean-Philippe Guérard <je...@tigreraye.org>.
Le 2004-08-31 21:18:53 +0200, J.Pietschmann écrivait :
> Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> >[ERROR] file:/home/fevrier/essai.fo:48:206 The id "id2455426" already
> >exists in this document
>
> This kind of problem is caused by discarding a layout attempt,
> usually either by a keep forcing a block onto the next page or
> column balancing caused by a column spanning block.
> If you are using the latest FOP release (0.20.5) there is no

Yes, I'm using FOP 0.20.5.

> way aroung except by avoiding the condition usually by
> carefully fiddling with forced page breaks and/or dummy
> content (depending on how well you can manipulate the DocBook
> source), or post processing.

Do you have something specific in mind when you mention post-processing?

Is this issue due to be solved in an upcoming FOP release?

Thanks.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard
http://tigreraye.org