Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com> on 2006/01/20 15:20:47 UTC

Avalon

Where can I find info about what is going to be used instead of Avalon?

Would Excalibur work?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Avalon

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

> Maybe you're interested in this:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajaconsole
Sorry but that's a total cr..
It's nothing one can do about it except throw it away :(.

Ahmed.

Re: Avalon

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> Thanks for this, a couple more questions...
>
>> The second step is to create new wrappers for
>> different containers (spring/osgi/j2ee).
>
> Are you intending to support multiple containers or has the choice of
> container still to be made

To be defined.

> IOC? excuse my ignorance, presumably not International Olympic
> Commitee :-)

Inversion of control / dependency injection: we discussed about CDI and
SDI (constructor based and setter based dependencies injections).

> And on a slightly different subject, but perhaps related, what are the
> plans for remote access (other than telnet), would an API allowing
> something like RMI be a good idea? I'm thinking this might encourage
> someone to write a client-side admin GUI.

No plans about this.

Maybe you're interested in this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajaconsole

Stefano

JMX

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Noel,

Thanks for this information. I'll have a look

Re: JMX

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Thanks, I'm familiar with JMX in general terms. I was looking for some
> info on stuff like...
>
> 1/ Is there a functional MBean server (I think I spotted one in the
> code).
> 2/ Is there an agent and available protocol (RMI perhaps?)

Look in the kernel.xml file of the phoenix distro:

You should be able to enable the
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager
instead of the NoopSystemManager. the kernel.xml already contains
comments and sample configuration for the RMI and WEB protocols.

Stefano

RE: JMX

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Noel,

Thanks, I'm familiar with JMX in general terms. I was looking for some
info on stuff like...

1/ Is there a functional MBean server (I think I spotted one in the
code).
2/ Is there an agent and available protocol (RMI perhaps?)
3/ Does the server have any MBeans registered with it? If so what sort
of stuff can they do? Is this dynamic config type stuff? Could JAMES
handle config changes mid-flow?
4/ Has anyone made a stab at building client code?

Thanks again for your help with this, I'm sure you can think of better
things to do on a Saturday than answer vague questions! It's much
appreciated.

RE: JMX

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Very little.  A few people contributed to it, but I don't know how much
attention it has gotten.  "See the source" would be my recommendation.

And the JMX specification, if you aren't familar with JMX in general.

	--- Noel

JMX

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Noel,

Is there any more information available on the JMX stuff for JAMES?

RE: Avalon

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm thinking this might encourage someone to write a client-side admin
GUI.

Actually, we already have the infrastructure we need, but no one wants to
work on it.  The infrastructure is called JMX, it is what we should be using
for the administation, we have runtime support already, and it would address
almost all complaints.

	--- Noel

Re: Avalon

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Stefano,

Re: Avalon

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Where can I find info about what is going to be used instead of Avalon?
>
> Would Excalibur work?

This has not yet been decided: after 2.3.0 release we will try to
refactor James with a POJO approach and an IOC approach. The first step
is to separate James core code from avalon specific
wrapper/implementations. The second step is to create new wrappers for
different containers (spring/osgi/j2ee).

Excalibur is not a replacement for Avalon: in fact excalibur is the
parent project for the avalon framework and one of its implementation
(fortress).

Stefano