Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com> on 2011/03/24 23:55:47 UTC

Serialized inventory and the ShoppingCart

I may be missing something but it looks like you cannot shop an order
for a piece of serialized inventory as part of your shopping cart
process. Am I wrong about that? If you have a user walk up with, say, a
hard drive or something else with a serial number on it how do you
represent that in the cart? Obviously the order doesn't exist yet, but I
know that no one else can reserve that inventory (for real) since the
user is holding it in their hand.

Any thoughts on this one?

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: Serialized inventory and the ShoppingCart

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
On Apr 7, 2011, at 6:10 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> That makes sense. So I don't need to touch the OrderItem structure, just
> create reservations at the same time that I create the order.
>
> Adding an array of serial numbers to ShoppingCartItem seems necessary
> though. Do you agree?

Yes, that makes sense. That would be the data that feeds into the new/alternative inventory reservation service.

-David

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Ean, Jacopo:

Please forgive if this is obvious, but I don't understand why this is a
desired behavior. Under what circumstances would you need to represent
the inventoryItemId (as serialized inventory) in the shopping cart?

 From my reading of the data model, the inventoryItemId (for serialized
inventory) is not the same as a serial number associated with a product.
Again, my understanding: Serialized inventory is used to track each
individual piece of inventory not to uniquely identify a product. Maybe
I've got it all wrong? Am I missing something?

TIA
Ruth

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.