Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/10 09:42:30 UTC

[classlib] StringBuilder vs StringBuffer

Folks,
I've noticed that available implementation of j.l.StringBuilder
performs quite slowly, so j.l.StringBuffer outperforms it several
times despite of all synchronization. I filed corresponding JIRA
tracker, HARMONY-589.

Yet there is one issue which I'd like to raise here - code duplication
between these classes. AFAIU they are almost identical, except
synchronization and return types, -therefore will perfectly fit to a
common superclass.
BTW, RI goes exactly this way - one can look at official specification
of corresponding serialized forms to ascertain that, so there will be
no compartibility issues.

If noone objects, I volunteer to do this refactoring. Guess it does
not require any golden tickets :) Should I assign the JIRA issue to
myself? Or any other steps needed?

Re: [classlib] StringBuilder vs StringBuffer

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,

I've attached suggested fix to the JIRA issue. Seems that now we can
even beat the Reference Implementation on the microbenchmark ;)
No new test failures introduced, I assume this is enough to ensure
patch correctness.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.