Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu> on 2003/12/10 18:57:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: how to pw website and synch with samba and system pw?

 >I don't know about anyone else, but I can't parse these paragraphs.
 >What's with the weird <input thing?
 >
 >In any case, you might want to read
 >http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth
 >before you go any further.

Apologies to those on list for the garbled email. the web mail service
claimed to be operating in plain text mode, which it clearly was not. I
don't know what caused the garbled text. I changed the subscription
address to prevent this in the future.

Joshua, thanks for the link. I do not recall seeing that 'warning' when
researching this problem the first time.

This website will be for use on the corporate intranet only, I do not
want that kind of security risk. What other solutions are available?

--

regards,

shane

Re: [users@httpd] Re: how to pw website and synch with samba and system pw?

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>>security wholes.
>

> Did I every mention I'm a great speler?
>
> Joshua.

heh. actually, i think that's what mucked up my first post on this
subject. the spell checker from that webmail account.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by joe angth <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Depending on what system you are using, there are a couple of ways. I know of a great program for OpenBSD, mod_auth_bsd, http://www.25thandclement.com/~william/projects/bsdauth.html. There are simialar ways to do things on a linux box.

-Joe

Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, shane c branch wrote:
> Can you suggest resource for reseachign CGI scripts? I know next to
> nothing about implementing them.

Well, a sample script that can be used for this purpose is at
http://home.xnet.com/~efflandt/pub/htpasswd.pl
It is written by a generally trustworthy person, but you should be very
cautious about using cgi scripts that you find on the web, since many of
them have security wholes.

General information about CGI and apache can be found here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: how to pw website and synch with samba and system pw?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> No that's not true.  Group protection "require group" is just a short form
> for "require user usera userb userc ...".  So they do not all share the
> same password, but you do still have the problems discussed below.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> I think I understand now.  This is a very basic, but difficult to solve
> problem.  Sharing a single password is always easier, but can lead to
> significant security problems, especially when one service (http) has
> significantly weaker security protections than the others.  There is no
> real way to avoid this.  Either you suffer the security consequences, or
> you suffer the inconvenience of multiple passwords.
>
> If you want to go the multiple passwords route, then you can make your
> life slightly easier by using a CGI script to allow your users to change
> their own password from the web.
>
> But to be frank, as long as this is a tightly restricted internal network,
> and as long as the web data and the stuff on the samba shares have
> approximately the same security sensitivity, I'd be tempted to just go
> ahead and use mod_auth_pam.  I'd consider putting it under mod_ssl to at
> least avoid plain-text passwords.
>
> Joshua.

Can you suggest resource for reseachign CGI scripts? I know next to
nothing about implementing them.

I will also take another look at mod_auth_pam. Maybe I will have better
luck this time. Thanks again.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, shane c branch wrote:
>

>> >I don't know about anyone else, but I can't parse these paragraphs.
>> >What's with the weird <input thing?
>> >
>> >In any case, you might want to read
>> >http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth
>> >before you go any further.
>>

>>Apologies to those on list for the garbled email. the web mail service
>>claimed to be operating in plain text mode, which it clearly was not. I
>>don't know what caused the garbled text. I changed the subscription
>>address to prevent this in the future.
>>
>>Joshua, thanks for the link. I do not recall seeing that 'warning' when
>>researching this problem the first time.
>>
>>This website will be for use on the corporate intranet only, I do not
>>want that kind of security risk. What other solutions are available?
>

> I haven't yet clearly understood the problem for which you are looking for
> a solution.  If you can live with the security consequences, there are
> various third-party modules like mod_auth_smb, mod_auth_pam,
> mod_auth_external, etc, that can do http auth from a system password
> database.
>
> JOshua.

Okay, I will try to be more clear.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.