Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/01 00:20:29 UTC

Re: Reminder: include GEODE-xxx jira ticket # in commit message

For things like 'doc typos' we could consider a Jira that remains open for
a specific release or period of development and then gets closed at the end
of that cycle.

Posted by kareem shabazz <ka...@gmail.com>.
To add my two-cents, since I missed the party earlier, by way of example
from my own use cases. On my team every sprint/cycle we create an
over-arching "tech debt" epic which we close out at the end of the sprint.
Usually there is some tech debt that requires doing and a Jira task(s) is
created under this epic. For us updating/amending docs is part of tech debt
and it informs the larger picture of things - usually it means something
was missed. Updating of docs is usually part the Jira story (a separate
task) for the code that corresponds to the docs and is considered as part
of meeting the "definition of done".

For Geode, unless there is a new feature/enhancement/bug-fix being done
then there's a large quota of tech debt so creating an epic "tech debt" and
having numerous Jira tasks under it to cleanly tie in what was done for a
particular sprint. Doc changes would just fall inline as we know this is a
period of transition for Geode so there could be a number of tech debt
checkins that just include docs or more usually code and docs.

Sensibly things like typos can be consolidated into a single jira and then
put up for review and merged at the end of the cycle - assuming these typos
can't b done as part of some other checkin. Typos in themselves aren't
usually an urgent and necesary need like a bug-fix that may have to go in
pronto. Either way I think the policy should be set and everyone ack and
abide and move on for smooth sailing.

--
Kareem

Re: Reminder: include GEODE-xxx jira ticket # in commit message

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.