Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2006/12/15 19:14:36 UTC

Do we need main, contrib and scratchpad?

Hi All

I've now had a few people ask me what the difference between main, contrib
and scratchpad is. The difference between main and scratchpad I'm happy
explaining, but it's contrib that's stumping me.

This leads me down one of two thought processes:

1) someone needs to explain how contrib differs, and we should do a better
     job of explaining what it is (and why it should remain seperate)
2) we should shift the stuff in contrib into main and scratchpad as
     appropriate, and move to just having two kinds of code

Can anyone enlighten me on 1, or should we give serious thought to 2?

Nick

Re: Do we need main, contrib and scratchpad?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Contrib was supposed to be stuff that will NEVER make it into the
project proper.  Scratchpad was supposed to be stuff that would
eventually make it there.  If it has lost distinction then it is fine.
I think the stuff in contrib has whithered.