Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> on 2004/11/19 07:49:04 UTC

Subversion Branch Names

Currently we have 'APR_0_9_BRANCH' and 'APU_0_9_BRANCH' as branch names
in subversion.

Is there any reason not to make these both '0.9.x'?

This is how httpd has been done, and both APR/APU have '1.0.x' branches.

I didn't want to just go do it now, since APR has been available via svn
for several days now... any objections to renaming the branches?

-Paul

Re: Subversion Branch Names

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> +1, but since 'svn log --stop-on-copy' will log backwards until the
> start of this latest copy, it may be worthwhile to note in your log
> message the initial revision where the branch was created (for purposes
> of merging later.  You can always get this information later, but it's
> easier to just put it in the log message now.

+1.  The only reason I was going to object was the fact that it would
make --stop-on-copy a bit less useful, but putting the info in the log
message will fix that problem nicely.

-garrett

Re: Subversion Branch Names

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Nov 19, 2004, at 12:49 AM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Currently we have 'APR_0_9_BRANCH' and 'APU_0_9_BRANCH' as branch names
> in subversion.
>
> Is there any reason not to make these both '0.9.x'?
>
> This is how httpd has been done, and both APR/APU have '1.0.x'
> branches.
>
> I didn't want to just go do it now, since APR has been available via
> svn
> for several days now... any objections to renaming the branches?

+1, but since 'svn log --stop-on-copy' will log backwards until the
start of this latest copy, it may be worthwhile to note in your log
message the initial revision where the branch was created (for purposes
of merging later.  You can always get this information later, but it's
easier to just put it in the log message now.

-Fitz

Re: Subversion Branch Names

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, November 18, 2004 11:49 PM -0700 Paul Querna
<ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:

> Currently we have 'APR_0_9_BRANCH' and 'APU_0_9_BRANCH' as branch names
> in subversion.
>
> Is there any reason not to make these both '0.9.x'?
>
> This is how httpd has been done, and both APR/APU have '1.0.x' branches.
>
> I didn't want to just go do it now, since APR has been available via svn
> for several days now... any objections to renaming the branches?

Nope.  +1 as it's a great idea.  =)  -- justin