Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2003/06/12 00:18:51 UTC

update on axis-c++

Hi Everyone,

I would like to give an update on the axis-c++ effort that we're
doing here in Sri Lanka. As some of you know, I have organized
an open-source software foundation in Sri Lanka to get local
developers to participate in open-source projects. Axis-C++ is
our first effort. This is being worked on by the following
folks:
    Chaminda Divitotawela
    Nuwan Gurusinghe
    Susantha Kumara
    Damitha Kumarage
    Nadika Ranasinghe
    Sanjaya Sinharage
    Roshan Weerasuriya
Susantha, Damitha, Sanjaya and Roshan are working full-time on this
effort. Nuwan and Chaminda are spending 2 days a week and Nadika
one day a week. Susantha is the technical lead of the team. I work
with them to help understand stuff and to help guide the
architecture etc..

I had previously organized a group of folks from here to work on
a client-side C++ impl - that is currently committed at
    ws-axis/contrib/Axis-C++
The current work has focused on the server-side. We intend to go
back to the client-side code and bring it in alignment with the
server-side code, but the work so far been on the server side.

We had a phone call with Dims a while ago when he explained the
overall Axis architecture and what he wanted us to do before the
work could be moved to the mainstream. The current status is that
we've developed an architecture for the server side and prototyped
most of it. A draft document explaining the architecture is
attached. The model supports all the usual Axis concepts (WSDD,
handlers, etc.) but is a bit different in the internal guts. I
assume that is not a problem .. the main motivation to change was
to try to move to a more pull-oriented approach and hopefully a
higher performant approach. All of this stuff can be discussed and
adjusted once we get this going mainstream, of course.

I have also attached a jar file containing the main source. The
attached isn't enough to compile (it doesn't include all the
dependencies) but enough to give you an idea of the current status.

What I'd like to do is the following:
    - commit the code to the main repository at ws-axis/c++/...
    - make the authors committers
    - run in regular mode: design, implement, etc. etc.

Dims suggested that we take a vote on how to move forward. Here's
my +1 to the above approach.

What do you think?

Sanjiva.

Re: update on axis-c++

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

- James M Snell
  jasnell@us.ibm.com
  http://www.ibm.com
  (877) 511-5082 / Office
  930-1979 / Tie Line

"Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sa...@watson.ibm.com>
06/11/2003 03:18 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

<ax...@xml.apache.org>
cc
<Su...@opensource.lk>, <Nu...@opensource.lk>, <Da...@opensource.lk>,
<Ro...@opensource.lk>, <Na...@opensource.lk>,
<sa...@opensource.lk>, "Sanjiva Weerawarana"
<sa...@opensource.lk>, <ch...@opensource.lk>
Subject

Re: update on axis-c++

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1

-- dims

=====

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Re: update on axis-c++

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Sanjiva,

I think we have enough votes (9 +1's and no +/-0's and no -1's). Can you please send a note to
root@apache.org and CC pmc@ws.apache.org with a request for creation of id's and requesting karma
for CVS.

Request should include
- Names of individuals
- Their email addresses
- Their Preferred apache id
- Link to email archives for the VOTE
- Name of project that they need access to

Also,
Each individual needs to sign and send the "Contributor License Agreement" (see PDF @
http://incubator.apache.org/) to apache.

Thanks,

=====

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Re: [VOTE] Axis C++ code and Committers (was Re: update on axis-c++)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> "Steve Loughran" <st...@iseran.com> writes:
>
>>a) ultimately the CPP thing should get a life of its own and branch off
>

> That's actually what's being voted on .. whether to create a new dir
> right under xml-axis and give it first-class life.
>

>>b) I'd like to see an ant build file for it; ant-contrib.sf.net has the
>>cpptasks.jar that works for this
>

> OK sounds good. Maybe you can help get that up once the code is
> committed properly etc.?

can do; I am busy setting up <cpp> support for a complex win32 project
right now.

Re: [VOTE] Axis C++ code and Committers (was Re: update on axis-c++)

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
"Steve Loughran" <st...@iseran.com> writes:

> a) ultimately the CPP thing should get a life of its own and branch off

That's actually what's being voted on .. whether to create a new dir
right under xml-axis and give it first-class life.

> b) I'd like to see an ant build file for it; ant-contrib.sf.net has the
> cpptasks.jar that works for this

OK sounds good. Maybe you can help get that up once the code is
committed properly etc.?

> c) what is the test strategy? CppUnit?

Yes that's the intent.

> Are there lessons from the Java
> build to learn?

I think Glen answered this amply. ;-)

Sanjiva.

Re: [VOTE] Axis C++ code and Committers (was Re: update on axis-c++)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Dear Committers,
>
> Please VOTE +1/+0/-0/-1 as usual for the following 2 items: (See ballot below, i already entered
> James and Sanjiva's +1). Please don't be "silent" (just say +0). FYI, Picked the list of names
> from our web site.
>
> #1: Setup xml-axis/c++ as destination for Axis-C++ (Later we can move xml-axis to ws-axis)
>
> #2: Accept the following folks as Committers:
>     Chaminda Divitotawela
>     Nuwan Gurusinghe
>     Susantha Kumara
>     Damitha Kumarage
>     Nadika Ranasinghe
>     Sanjaya Sinharage
>     Roshan Weerasuriya
>

> # Steve Loughran        [+1]    [ +1]

a) ultimately the CPP thing should get a life of its own and branch off

b) I'd like to see an ant build file for it; ant-contrib.sf.net has the
cpptasks.jar that works for this

c) what is the test strategy? CppUnit? Are there lessons from the Java
build to learn?

-steve

Re: [VOTE] Axis C++ code and Committers (was Re: update on axis-c++)

Posted by Chris Haddad <ha...@apache.org>.
+1 , +1

/Chris

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Committers,

#1: Setup xml-axis/c++ as destination for Axis-C++ (Later we can move xml-axis to ws-axis)

#2: Accept the following folks as Committers:
    Chaminda Divitotawela
    Nuwan Gurusinghe
    Susantha Kumara
    Damitha Kumarage