Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/18 18:01:28 UTC

editing, moving comments and bookmarks?

Hi,

has anyone had experience using pdfbox to edit and/or move comments and
bookmarks?

I see some discussions about comments i pdfbox...

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: editing, moving comments and bookmarks?

Posted by Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>.
Is this a nutty idea?

A pdf has a named destination for each section and subsection. I have a new
one and an old one. The goal is to as much as possible, transfer the
annotations from the old one to the new one.

In the old one, I use pdfbox to, for each pdannotation, get page number. I
use this to find the closest named destination above the annotation.

I get that page number

I use the info to copy the annotation to the closest named destination in
the new pdf.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Let's say you have a PDF to which some user has added comments. Then an
> updated PDF is generated. I was thinking perhaps one could sync the user
> generated annotations from the old PDF to the new one. Perhaps by using
> named destinations?
>
> Looks tough, but surely some one has needed to do this kind of thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM, <Ad...@swmc.com> wrote:
>
>> I've done some work with bookmarks.  What did you want to know?  What are
>> you trying to do?
>>
>> ----
>> Thanks,
>> Adam
>>

>> From:
>> Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> users@pdfbox.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 11/18/2010 09:02
>> Subject:
>> editing, moving comments and bookmarks?
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> has anyone had experience using pdfbox to edit and/or move comments and
>> bookmarks?
>>
>> I see some discussions about comments i pdfbox...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin
>>

>> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
>> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
>> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
>> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com   Visit
>> www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training, Webinars, Lender
>> Alerts and Submitting Conditions
>> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West
>> Mortgage Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The
>> information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
>> on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in
>> reliance on the contents of this email information is strictly prohibited,
>> and that the documents should be returned to this office immediately by
>> email. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver
>> of any privilege. Please do not include your social security number, account
>> number, or any other personal or financial information in the content of the
>> email. Should you have any questions, please call (800) 453 7884.

Re: editing, moving comments and bookmarks?

Posted by Ad...@swmc.com.
If you run into issues, I might be able to help out, if given a PDF and a
very short bit of code which doesn't work (remember, no attachments to the
list).  If these servers stop crashing I should be able to spare a few
minutes to quickly look it over.

----
Thanks,
Adam

From:
Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>
To:
users@pdfbox.apache.org
Date:
11/18/2010 10:43

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM, <Ad...@swmc.com> wrote:

> First, let me make sure I understand your goals correctly.  You have PDF
1
> which has annotations and you want to make a copy all the annotations
over
> to PDF 2.  If we can't figure that out, then the next best thing would
be
> to make bookmarks with named destinations with the text from the
> annotation and have them point to the exact location where the
annotation
> was located.  Sound about right?

No, we need the comments to stay comments.

> Well, I've never done anything with annotations, but assuming you can
> iterate over them and get the text and location, it should be pretty
> simple to build a document outline.  Hesham had a few nice posts on
named
> destinations which included some sample code.  Here's an example:
> http://markmail.org/message/nbml3fzsdjn5kvbh (or just search the mailing
> lists for "named destinations").  I haven't done any named destinations
> with PDFBox, but I read up on ISO32000 to help Hesham, so I'm pretty
good
> at looking at the raw data with a text editor and tracing through to see
> how everything is laid out and why it is or is not working.

Cool, thanks a lot for your thoughts! I've actually contributed to the
discussion on named destinations as I've used pdfbox to manipulate them
(though I was never able to rename them without problems). I'll definitely
give the annotations a whirl in pdfbox.

Kevin

Posted by arun segar <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Is there any one can help me to solve the Identity-H fonts issue while
extracting text from PDF.

While extracting that fonts came as question mark(*?*). Anybody can help me
regarding it.

Thanks,
Arun Segar

Re: editing, moving comments and bookmarks?

Posted by Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>.
I have not been able to get it to work so far, but it seems like it
'should'... :) I'm still hacking around with it.

One would think that Adobe would include this type of thing in Adobe
Acrobat, given the expense and the fact they keep coming out with new
versions.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Hesham G. <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin ,
>
> Hope you can share what you get with us. I am interested in that too.
>

> Best regards ,
> Hesham

> Included message :
>

>  On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM, <Ad...@swmc.com> wrote:
>>
>>  First, let me make sure I understand your goals correctly.  You have PDF
>>> 1
>>> which has annotations and you want to make a copy all the annotations
>>> over
>>> to PDF 2.  If we can't figure that out, then the next best thing would be
>>> to make bookmarks with named destinations with the text from the
>>> annotation and have them point to the exact location where the annotation
>>> was located.  Sound about right?
>>>

>>>  No, we need the comments to stay comments.
>>

>>  Well, I've never done anything with annotations, but assuming you can
>>> iterate over them and get the text and location, it should be pretty
>>> simple to build a document outline.  Hesham had a few nice posts on named
>>> destinations which included some sample code.  Here's an example:
>>> http://markmail.org/message/nbml3fzsdjn5kvbh (or just search the mailing
>>> lists for "named destinations").  I haven't done any named destinations
>>> with PDFBox, but I read up on ISO32000 to help Hesham, so I'm pretty good
>>> at looking at the raw data with a text editor and tracing through to see
>>> how everything is laid out and why it is or is not working.
>>>

>>>  Cool, thanks a lot for your thoughts! I've actually contributed to the
>> discussion on named destinations as I've used pdfbox to manipulate them
>> (though I was never able to rename them without problems). I'll definitely
>> give the annotations a whirl in pdfbox.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

>>  ----
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adam
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> users@pdfbox.apache.org
>>> Date:
>>> 11/18/2010 09:28

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
Kevin ,

Posted by Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

to make bookmarks with named destinations with the text from the
annotation and have them point to the exact location where the annotation
was located.  Sound about right?

Well, I've never done anything with annotations, but assuming you can
iterate over them and get the text and location, it should be pretty
simple to build a document outline.  Hesham had a few nice posts on named
destinations which included some sample code.  Here's an example:
http://markmail.org/message/nbml3fzsdjn5kvbh (or just search the mailing
lists for "named destinations").  I haven't done any named destinations
with PDFBox, but I read up on ISO32000 to help Hesham, so I'm pretty good
at looking at the raw data with a text editor and tracing through to see
how everything is laid out and why it is or is not working.

From:
Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>
To:
users@pdfbox.apache.org
Date:
11/18/2010 09:28

Posted by Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

Let's say you have a PDF to which some user has added comments. Then an
updated PDF is generated. I was thinking perhaps one could sync the user
generated annotations from the old PDF to the new one. Perhaps by using
named destinations?

Looks tough, but surely some one has needed to do this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Kevin

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM, <Ad...@swmc.com> wrote:

> I've done some work with bookmarks.  What did you want to know?  What are
> you trying to do?
>
> ----
> Thanks,
> Adam
>

> From:
> Kevin Brown <kb...@gmail.com>
> To:
> users@pdfbox.apache.org
> Date:
> 11/18/2010 09:02
> Subject:
> editing, moving comments and bookmarks?
>

> Hi,
>
> has anyone had experience using pdfbox to edit and/or move comments and
> bookmarks?
>
> I see some discussions about comments i pdfbox...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>

> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com   Visit
> www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training, Webinars, Lender
> Alerts and Submitting Conditions
> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West Mortgage
> Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is
> intended only for the use of the individual or entity named on this email.
> disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the
> contents of this email information is strictly prohibited, and that the
> documents should be returned to this office immediately by email. Receipt by
> anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any privilege.
> Please do not include your social security number, account number, or any
> other personal or financial information in the content of the email. Should
> you have any questions, please call (800) 453 7884.

Re: editing, moving comments and bookmarks?

Posted by Ad...@swmc.com.
I've done some work with bookmarks.  What did you want to know?  What are
you trying to do?

----
Thanks,
Adam