Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2013/06/12 16:00:14 UTC

[VOTE][LAZY] Release HC stylecheck 1 based on RC1

Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Style-check 1.
The vote is open for for 72 hours and requires a lazy consensus to pass.
The vote passes if there are no vetoes (binding -1 votes).

Maven artefacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-015/org/apache/httpcomponents/hc-stylecheck/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/hc-stylecheck/tags/1-RC1/

Change log:
-----------
There are two sets of style check rules currently provided this module:
default and minimal.

Minimal rules are:
------------------
* ASLv2 header check
* While space checks (no tabs, no trailing spaces)
* Imports checks (unused imports, star imports, duplicated imports)
* #equals has a matching #hashCode check

Default rules are:
------------------
* All minimal checks
* Local variable and parameter checks: all immutable local variables
method parameters must be marked 'final'

Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Release HC stylecheck 1 based on RC1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
[x] +1 Release the packages as HC style-check 1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 16:00 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 11:49 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:

> > olegk@apache.org

> > as a

> > > Ah, I just looked at the directory layout of log4j2 vs. httpcomponents
> > and
> > > I see that both projects have a different approach to laying out modules.
> > >
> > > Log4j2 puts the 'project file' at the root and the submodules in
> > > subdirectories.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >

> > Gary,
> >
> > Obviously this approach works well for a group of modules that share the
> > same release cycle. In HC land we have three components with different
> > release cycles which makes our situation considerably more complex.
> >

> Check. FWIW, I've always found the current release model unclear. I do not
> feed I can guarantee that core 4.2.x works with client 4.2.y or other
> combinations. The only thing I can be guaranteed is that the stack works as
> defined by the deps in the POMs.
>
> For me at least, I'd be happy to link to a httpcomponents-all 4.3, get
> all-in-one jar and be done with it,
>
> But hey, that's just me :)
>
> Gary

HC stable branches are not meant to have any public visible changes are
meant for bug fixes only. Likewise stable releases should never depend
on releases from a development branch.

Everything in this life has pros and cons. Big über all-in-one jars make
some things easier and others more difficult like management of
transitive dependencies. Same goes for one release cycle for distinct
group of components. One release cycle basically means that while core
components undergo a lot of changes, client components cannot be
released with a lower, more stable version, and vice versa. All comes
with a price.

Oleg

Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Release HC stylecheck 1 based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Release HC stylecheck 1 based on RC1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.