Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net> on 2005/04/23 20:50:33 UTC

if ! MY_RULE ?

I would like to have a block of SARE rules only be used if one of my self
defined rules does not match. Is there a way to do that in SA 3.0.2?

regards,
wolfgang

Re: if ! MY_RULE ?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
Suppose the SARE rule is FU_BAR. You define a private rule "MW_BAR"
and as part of its definition block you set the score for "FU_BAR"
to zero.

That is the theory anyway. It won't work with 3.02 even with user
rules enabled. Or rather it will work deceptively. Suppose you have
N instances of spamd running. It will work N times until all M children
of one of the spamds us used up. Then when the new spamd is started it
will work once for each new spamd that gets started when an old spamd's
children count goes away.

The way it won't work is that your rules will get picked up. But you get
a default score except for the FIRST time a spamd instance runs. That
first time it gets the proper scores out of your user directory.

The workaround is ugly - run spamassassin raw rather than using spamd.

{^_^}   Joanne