Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Lenz, Evan" <le...@seattleu.edu> on 2002/12/02 15:14:09 UTC

Cocoon/tomcat memory usage

I'm trying to further utilize the memory resources of our Linux server for
Cocoon by increasing the StoreJanitor heapsize and Java -Xmx parameters. My
current settings are as follows:

In tomcat4.conf:
     JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xmx360m"

In cocoon.xconf (inside the store-janitor element):
     <parameter name="freememory" value="20000000"/>
     <parameter name="heapsize" value="336000000"/>

Performance has visibly improved as a result. However, actual memory usage
(per top output) seems to peak at 111-112M, no matter what I throw at the
server.

How do I make the JVM and Tomcat/Cocoon utilize more of my machine's memory
(thereby further improving performance hopefully)?

Thanks,
Evan Lenz

Re: RE: RE: Changing Xalan XSL (WAS Re: SVG - java socket exception)

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@ntlworld.com>.
Saxon is installed, the error has gone away and the whole thing is faster. The JSP was being called twice because of IE. It doesn't happen with NS/Mozilla etc.

Thanks

Chris

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@ntlworld.com>.
Thanks for that - I did search the archives and found some messages with the same error message as I had but none that I saw had a follow-up. I really did search but until you understand the nature of the problem
better, it is difficult to know what terms to search on.  I do apologise for wasting any of your time and thanks again.

I'll try Saxon. I'm not immediately certain how to install it with Cocoon but I'll find out ! The journey is part of the fun.

Chris

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@gmx.net>.
Chris,

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@gmx.net>.
Chris,

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@ntlworld.com>.
HI

SVG - java socket exception

Re: Cocoon/tomcat memory usage

Posted by Christoph Gaffga <cg...@triplemind.com>.
Hi,
you can change some more in the cocoon.xconf. Try the number of cached
objects (MRUMemoryStore, <parameter name="maxobjects" value="10000"/>).
I reach a memory usage of cocoon by around 1,5GB by playing around with
these values.

yours
Christoph Gaffga
cgaffga@triplemind.com