Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mark Soderburg <so...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/14 19:11:02 UTC

Spell

Recently my word processing documents have started to open with virtually
every word underlined in red as if they are all misspelled. Has my
dictionary or spell checker become un-attached somehow? I tried to cure by
a re load of 3.4.1 but no luck.    Thanks   I am using windows

Re: Spell

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Mark,

Mark Soderburg schrieb:
> Recently my word processing documents have started to open with virtually
> every word underlined in red as if they are all misspelled. Has my
> dictionary or spell checker become un-attached somehow? I tried to cure by
> a re load of 3.4.1 but no luck.    Thanks   I am using windows

The installation of the dictionary is likely broken.

Do you have installed any other extensions?
If not, then it might help to delete the cache. It is in your
OpenOffice-user folder. Do you know where it is? In that folder you will
find OpenOffice.org\3\user\uno_packages\cache. Close OpenOffice.org
(close quickstarter too, if you use it), then delete all content in that
folder. It will be rebuild with the next start of OpenOffice.org.
Because the English dictionary is bundled, it should be available after
restart.

If you have installed other extensions, it might be necessary to first
uninstall them, then clean the cache as described above, and then
reinstall your extensions.

Simple reloading or repairing OpenOffice.org does not solve problems in
the user settings, because the user settings are preserved. You can test
whether the problem is in the user settings or in the installation
itself: Rename your OpenOffice.org-user folder, so that the application
does not find it. It will generate a new, virgin one with the next
start. If the error is gone then, you know, that something is broken in
your user settings.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Spell

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Am 14.11.2012 19:11, schrieb Mark Soderburg:
> Recently my word processing documents have started to open with virtually
> every word underlined in red as if they are all misspelled. Has my
> dictionary or spell checker become un-attached somehow? I tried to cure by
> a re load of 3.4.1 but no luck.    Thanks   I am using windows

please check the installed spell checkers within the application (menu
item /tools/extension manager/) and if there are dupicates for our
language. If this is the case then uninstall those not needed within
that dialog.

If your language is not listed within the extension manager then have a
look at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries
I believe you'll find one to install for your language. There are
diverse spell checkers available. You just need to choose one of them
suitable for your language and install it by opening the oxt file.
Usually your operating system will pass this file to be opened with
OpenOffice.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Spell

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:11:02 -0800
Mark Soderburg <so...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently my word processing documents have started to open with virtually
> every word underlined in red as if they are all misspelled. Has my
> dictionary or spell checker become un-attached somehow? I tried to cure by
> a re load of 3.4.1 but no luck.    Thanks   I am using windows

Firstly, delete or rename your User Profile - details are at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

If that doesn't help, have a look at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=67
for detailed spellcheck information.