Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> on 2014/10/31 16:55:11 UTC

Build broken

@Gokhan I’m confused too. I think there are too many moving parts. I merged the Spark 1.1 branch into master before trying yours. The master fails to build on the nightly machines so your patch may give a clue but is not required for breaking the build.

@Dmitriy Yes I think I discovered this so I am indeed using the Spark 1.1 from my local maven cache which I built for hadoop 1.2.1. So building Mahout against that should work since all versions match. However I get the same error as the master branch on the build machines. This leads me to question which version of Hadoop is really being used with Gokhan’s patch.  @Gokhan is "-Dhadoop.version=1.2.1” the correct CLI option?

Moving back to the master on my system without this patch, which still uses Spark 1.1 and Hadoop 1.2.1 the build is not broken but does seem to be broken on the build machine. This must be because I am pulling artifacts from my maven cache?

@Andrew cleaned his maven repo cache, unset SPARK_HOME and is getting the failure on the master, again pointing to a problem in the maven repos

Can someone with a broken build try building Spark from source with “mvn clean install ...” Then try building Mahout? @Andrew? If that works we have another clue.

Not sure how to fix this. Is there any reliable way to build using only the maven external repos for Spark or should we switch the build machine to doing Spark builds too?

Oct 31, 2014, at 6:18 AM, Gokhan Capan <no...@github.com> wrote:

Alright, I am confused a little.

@Pat, doest this patch break the build or it also occurs when packaging the
master?

@Dmitriy,
My rationale is that, as it is suggested at
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/programming-guide.html#linking-with-spark,
mahout, as a hadoop client, should add hadoop-client and spark_core as a
dependency and then just work. The version of hadoop-client should support
multiple hadoop versions since people might have hadoop clusters with
different versions, from different vendors etc.

Gokhan

—