Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com> on 2003/06/10 20:30:30 UTC

and

Is it just me, or do these objects have no intrinsic affect on <html:text>
objects?

Mark

RE: and

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.
Using <html:reset/> or <html:cancel> does not clear the entered data to
defaults.  This is before a submit, typically when a user has entered a
bunch of data and realized he was looking at the wrong ledger and wants to
reset everything to 0.  It's not working. And this shouldn't be rocket
science!  :-)

Mark

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 15:00, Mark Galbreath wrote:
> Close - <input type="reset"/> and <html:reset/> both clear <input
> type="text"/> but neither clear <html:text/>.  Until Struts, I always used
> <input type="reset"/> to clear the textfields of a form and assumed
> intrinsic value does <html:reset/> have for <html:text/> objects if they
> cannot clear them or reset them to their default values on the client?  RU
> saying that I have to create a custom clear() function to clear
> client)?

Yes and no, when the page is rendered, the values you see are those input's
default values, so hitting reset will change them back to their default
values (values they had when the page was loaded).  If this happens to be a
new form (such as creating a new registration in the struts-example), then
those fields are typically emtpy (exeption being default values that may have
been used).

From here, if you fill out the entire form, then hit "reset", the fields will

RE: and

Re: and

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 14:30, Mark Galbreath wrote:
> Is it just me, or do these objects have no intrinsic affect on <html:text>
> objects?

From which perspective do you mean?  Client or server?

The reset is basically an html input of type reset which will effect the page
on the client side, while the cancel submit the form, but signals the
controller that the form was cancelled (server side).

I doubt you suffer from this, but I've seen several cases where developers
think that if the user fills out a form and submits it, but it fails on
validation and returns to render the page with those invalid entries, that
hitting the reset will "reset" (in their mind) the page back to a blank page.

That, of course, is the difference between a "reset" and a "clear" button.