Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Harald Oehlmann <Ha...@Elmicron.de> on 2010/10/21 14:50:15 UTC

Answer by Roy Keene on its Rivet work

Received from Roy Keene (tcler@rkeene.org):

Harald,

	I am alive and well.  I was vaugely aware that a new Rivet was released
with Apache 2 support (since I idle on the Tclers Chat and D. Welton
makes an occasional appearance there).

I still think Rivet/CGI fills a very important need -- using rivet on
anything but Apache.  Rivet/CGI even includes its own basic HTTP server.
This means you can convert a Rivet application into a single executable
(starpack) that can be run as a CGI or as a standalone webserver itself
(depending on how it is called).

Also, Rivet/CGI might still have advantages over mod_rivet on Apache.
Namely, obeying suEXEC directives so that users' Rivet code runs as them
rather than as the UID of the webserver.  This is important on
multi-user servers.

Let me know if you would like additional information, or have any
relevant patches you would like included.

Thanks,
	Roy Keene