Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/25 22:46:46 UTC

Welcome Daniel Dias Dos Santos as TomEE committer!

Dear community,

Please share your thanks to Daniel Dias Dos Santos who has been invited by the TomEE PMC as a committer!

Thank you, Daniel, for all you've given the project with your many many PRs.  You are indeed a big force behind our translation efforts.

Much more than that, thank you so much for all your effort helping to enable others to contribute to the project.  It's a rare thing.

Many people new on an open source project limit their participation.  If someone asks a question, they think, "Someone who knows more should probably answer that."  If someone asks how they can help, they think, "Someone with more authority should probably answer that." If someone submits a PR, they think, "Someone with more experience/commit should probably review that."

Reject that line of thinking.  It doesn't help you or the project.

The people you view as more capable and with more authority view themselves as servants.  Servants that are just doing the best they can.  You don't need permission or authority to be a servant.  When you show willingness and bravery to help others an also be a servant, you quickly become one of their favorite people.

The trick; it's not about your ability to help, it's about the person who needs help.  Focus on them, not on you.

It's not "do I know everything about x", it's "do I know anything about x that can help this person."  If there's any small thing you can do to help them, do it.  If you see they are not getting a response, then you have a wide open range of ways to help them; basically anything that isn't silence.  Even a simple, "I'm new here too, but happy to team up and learn together.  I can't figure out x, do you have any ideas?"

Thank you, Daniel, for having the bravery to help so many on the project.

You are now going to cross a magical line were people are going to look at you and think, "we sure, he can help/do/contribute like that because he's a committer.  I'm not so I can't."

Your new job is to convince them otherwise :)

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Welcome Daniel Dias Dos Santos as TomEE committer!

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks my friend  : )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks Gustavo :  )

Posted by Gustavo Castro <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks Jon :  )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nishant Raut <ni...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Daniel!

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant Raut
https://twitter.com/rautnishant

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks Rodrigo :  )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello my friend Evaldo,

thank you very much and I'm glad to have you here too, looking forward to
seeing your contributions : )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Posted by Evaldo Junior <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Graciano <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks Mike  :  )

Posted by Michael Redlich <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marco :  )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Muito Obrigado Emerson pelos parabéns :  )

yes, David’s thoughts are excellent and it really motivates people to want
to contribute and he felt welcome :)

Posted by Emerson Castañeda <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks, Cesar, it is always a pleasure to help other people with their
contributions. : )

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Daniel!

Posted by Marco Ferreira <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
thank you very much David :)

Posted by David Salter <da...@davidsalter.uk>.

            Congratulations Daniel. You deserve this after all the hard work you’ve put in. Well deserved :)David. ---- On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 23:46:46 +0100  David Blevins<da...@gmail.com> wrote ----Dear community,  Please share your thanks to Daniel Dias Dos Santos who has been invited by the TomEE PMC as a committer!  Thank you, Daniel, for all you've given the project with your many many PRs.  You are indeed a big force behind our translation efforts.  Much more than that, thank you so much for all your effort helping to enable others to contribute to the project.  It's a rare thing.  Many people new on an open source project limit their participation.  If someone asks a question, they think, "Someone who knows more should probably answer that."  If someone asks how they can help, they think, "Someone with more authority should probably answer that." If someone submits a PR, they think, "Someone with more experience/commit should probably review that."  Reject that line of thinking.  It doesn't help you or the project.  The people you view as more capable and with more authority view themselves as servants.  Servants that are just doing the best they can.  You don't need permission or authority to be a servant.  When you show willingness and bravery to help others an also be a servant, you quickly become one of their favorite people.  The trick; it's not about your ability to help, it's about the person who needs help.  Focus on them, not on you.  It's not "do I know everything about x", it's "do I know anything about x that can help this person."  If there's any small thing you can do to help them, do it.  If you see they are not getting a response, then you have a wide open range of ways to help them; basically anything that isn't silence.  Even a simple, "I'm new here too, but happy to team up and learn together.  I can't figure out x, do you have any ideas?"  Thank you, Daniel, for having the bravery to help so many on the project.  You are now going to cross a magical line were people are going to look at you and think, "we sure, he can help/do/contribute like that because he's a committer.  I'm not so I can't."  Your new job is to convince them otherwise :)   --  David Blevins http://twitter.com/dblevins http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: Welcome Daniel Dias Dos Santos as TomEE committer!

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi David and community,

For me it is a pleasure to be part of the project and that the work that
was done in the translation helps others to know more about Tomee and that
encourages people to participate too.

I am very happy that this is helping with the documentation part, which is
something that many don't like. For me it is the gateway for beginners to
start participating in Open Source projects.

Tomee is a fantastic project, an excellent source of learning and always
has something to help and the community is very welcoming.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn, teach and work with all of
you, I will do my best to help even more and bring more people interested
in participating with us. :)