Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> on 2010/06/09 23:46:58 UTC

404 error in IE when wicket app at root context

We have recently moved our Wicket app to the root context / after
previously being at /content and everything seemed to work perfectly
until we tested the app with IE 8.

FF3, Opera 10 work but using IE8 we get a 404 error when a particular
AJAX event occurs, the URI requested is:

"POST
/?wicket:interface=:5:body:addressFormPanel:orgPanel:form:1:IFormSubmitL
istener:: HTTP/1.1" 302 -

Note:

- Starts with /? i.e. root context - used to work fine when wicket not
at root context
- 302 redirect has occurred

It's causing major problems at the moment - judging by the drop in page
visits since switching to the root context it appears that more people
are still using IE than I expected.

I noticed there is a JIRA issue 2600 which seems related to this but it
has apparently been resolved.

Anyone experienced this problem? Got a solution?

RE: 404 error in IE when wicket app at root context

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
>Can you create a quickstart that demonstrates that
>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-2600 is still broken?

Although this problem sounds similar to 2600 I think it is a separate
problem even though they might be distant cousins.

This problem isn't caused by a redirect to root / like 2600.

This problem is when the app context is root / (i.e. the WicketFilter
path is set to /*) and you do a continueToOriginalDestination() when the
original destination is not root eg.,

A redirect to:

/content/home

causes a 404 error in IE only. By stripping the leading slash / we
change the redirect to go to

content/home

instead and IE is happy and FireFox and Opera continue to work (as per
usual :])

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
I have managed to get it working but only by a change to the Wicket
PageMap.java class' continueToOriginalDestination method:

If the interceptContinuationURL has a leading slash then I remove it and
redirect to the URL without the leading slash.

Works under FF as well which is good!

Not sure if this change should be incorporated into the wicket source
but it certainly fixes a serious 404 error on our site that only occurs
on IE.

	public final boolean continueToOriginalDestination()
	{
		// Get request cycle
		final RequestCycle cycle = RequestCycle.get();

		// If there's a place to go to
		if (interceptContinuationURL != null)
		{

			if ( interceptContinuationURL.length() > 0 &&
interceptContinuationURL.charAt(0) == '/' )
	interceptContinuationURL =
interceptContinuationURL.substring(1);
System.out.println("--------- > redirecting to URL is: "+
interceptContinuationURL);

			cycle.setRequestTarget(new
RedirectRequestTarget(interceptContinuationURL));

			// Reset interception URL
			interceptContinuationURL = null;

			// Force session to replicate page maps
			dirty();