Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> on 2009/09/03 18:36:36 UTC

Re: SvnPubSub for Git and CI updates (Was: Testing SVN based websites)

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Paul Querna<pa...@querna.org> wrote:
>> SvnWcSub and SvnPubSub now work well enough for some testing.
>
> SvnPubSub seems quite useful, nice work!
>
> Could I use it also to trigger Git mirror updates at git.apache.org?
> That would nicely obsolete the hacky email notification setup we now
> use.

Yes, that is part of my intention -- We were growing an unsustainable
number of notification methods, and most of them were pushing directly
from the commit hook.

Feel free to play with it running at:
<http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/dirs-changed/xml>
   (replace xml with json if you prefer that...)
Best way to easily look at it is with curl:
  curl -i http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/dirs-changed/xml

Note that while the software is working well, I do want to make a few
changes to it before we propagate it too far:
  - Multi-repository support (ie, include the repo UUID)
  - Add a more detailed stream url (author, log message, all file
names changed, etc)

Hopefully I can do those this weekend, and we can declare the data
formats somewhat stable.....

> And we could do a Hudson plugin that listens to the SvnPubSub stream
> and automatically triggers related buils. Other CI servers could also
> benefit from something like that.

That would definitely be nice and reduce the polling used by all our
various tools.

-Paul

Re: SvnPubSub for Git and CI updates (Was: Testing SVN based websites)

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Paul Querna<pa...@querna.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Paul Querna<pa...@querna.org> wrote:
>>> SvnWcSub and SvnPubSub now work well enough for some testing.
>>
>> SvnPubSub seems quite useful, nice work!
>>
>> Could I use it also to trigger Git mirror updates at git.apache.org?
>> That would nicely obsolete the hacky email notification setup we now
>> use.
>
> Yes, that is part of my intention -- We were growing an unsustainable
> number of notification methods, and most of them were pushing directly
> from the commit hook.
>
> Feel free to play with it running at:
> <http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/dirs-changed/xml>
>   (replace xml with json if you prefer that...)
> Best way to easily look at it is with curl:
>  curl -i http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/dirs-changed/xml
>
> Note that while the software is working well, I do want to make a few
> changes to it before we propagate it too far:
>  - Multi-repository support (ie, include the repo UUID)
>  - Add a more detailed stream url (author, log message, all file
> names changed, etc)

Okay, go for it.

current url form is:
$type/$repo_uuid/$format

type is "commits" or "dirs-changed".
repo_uuid is optional, if not present you might get commits from
multiple repositories
format is "json" or "xml"

examples:
all commits, no repo UUID filter, directory changes, xml format:
<http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/dirs-changed/xml>

all commits, no repo UUID filter, full commit info, xml format:
<http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/commits/xml>

all commits, repo UUID filtered, full commit info, xml format:
<http://svn-master.apache.org:2069/commits/13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68/xml>

example xml output:
<commit repository="13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68" revision="100">
                        <author>jasons</author>
                        <date>2003-11-10 17:43:58 +0000 (Mon, 10 Nov
2003)</date>
                        <log>new</log>

<dirs_changed><path>xml/xerces-p/trunk/samples/</path></dirs_changed>
</commit>

I think at this point the URLs/API are somewhat stable... No promises
forever and ever, but lemme know if there is any info missing you
would like :)

Thanks,

Paul