Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org> on 2017/06/26 16:16:07 UTC

tomcat-dbcp vs tomcat-jdbc

Hi,

I have been looking at the connection pooling libraries that we
presently have and it appears (at least the way the documentation puts
it, https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jdbc-pool.html) that
tomcat-jdbc is much better than tomcat-dbcp. Have we considered
promoting it to the default connection pool implementation? Do we want
to continue to offer it and an alternative? Are there situations when
dbcp is better than jdbc?

Disclaimer: I haven't used either, but figured that potentially
removing a dependency was worth inquiring about.

Thanks,
Coty

Re: tomcat-dbcp vs tomcat-jdbc

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 26/06/17 17:16, Coty Sutherland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been looking at the connection pooling libraries that we
>> presently have and it appears (at least the way the documentation puts
>> it, https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jdbc-pool.html) that
>> tomcat-jdbc is much better than tomcat-dbcp.
>
> It is a false comparison. It is comparing jdbc-pool to DBCP 1.x.
> tomcat-dbcp is based on DBCP 2.x.
>
>> Have we considered
>> promoting it to the default connection pool implementation? Do we want
>> to continue to offer it and an alternative? Are there situations when
>> dbcp is better than jdbc?
>
> The performance numbers are broadly similar. tomcat-jdbc had a slight
> edge last time I checked but the differences are in the noise compared
> to even the most basis database operation. The reason for that edge is
> that tomcat-jdbc doesn't do everything by default that tomcat-dbcp does.
>
> Some back-ground:
> http://markmail.org/message/nhayhdcstkj2lssf

Thanks for the history.

>> Disclaimer: I haven't used either, but figured that potentially
>> removing a dependency was worth inquiring about.
>
> Once thing tomcat-jdbc does a lot better than tomcat-dbcp is JMX. That
> is the primary reason I haven't followed up on this thread:
>
> http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/o4d2qalqf7267gl6

OK, got it. I'll leave it alone too then :)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.