Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2019/06/24 18:10:44 UTC

Release 1.20 and release notes

Just back for vacation... and it’s great to see a shiny new release. Thank you, Michael, for getting it out of the door.

Release management is a huge task these days. A few months ago [1] we agreed a rotation of release managers for a few releases ahead. I think this is working well; it makes sure that the work is spread among several people, and it also provides an incentive to get each release out early. (If, as release manager, you procrastinate, then the task gets larger.)

How do people feel the rotating release manager schedule is working out?

Someone else remarked that the release notes are missing the names of non-committer contributors. I think we should edit the release notes retrospectively to include these names. Calling out new contributors makes them want to stick around, do more, and eventually earn committer status.

Michael, How did you generate the release notes? It looks as if you generated them from the commit log, not the JIRA cases  - which is the right thing - but somehow those names got stripped.

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c6fba3f6585139ba6919baf71835d32eeea8ca187621aa5c06a26f8c@%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c6fba3f6585139ba6919baf71835d32eeea8ca187621aa5c06a26f8c@%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E>

Re: Release 1.20 and release notes

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
That was one of the reasons I was unsure where to put the script.
src/main/scripts is fine although it isn't obvious from that location
that it's unrelated to the use of Calcite. I'm not strongly opposed to
just pasting it in the documentation.
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Now that you mention it, I know you had mentioned it before, but I
don't see a link in the howto. If we're going to use it, I think we

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Here’s the script I use:

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.