Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sander van der Waal <sa...@oucs.ox.ac.uk> on 2011/10/03 17:54:25 UTC

RE: IP Clearance - transferral or licensing of copyright ownership?

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, that's been very helpful.

<snip>
> > On the other hand, the ASF general FAQ states that the copyright of
> ASF
> > projects is owned by the ASF, more specifically "The members own the
> > code" [5].
>
> It is the collective copyright that is owned by Apache
>
> Projects are composed by a selection process undertaken by the PMC
> from a variety of contributions. Each contributor owns the copyright
> in their patch but the creative act of composition entitles Apache to
> claim collective copyright for the final work. This collective
> copyright claim is noted in the NOTICE. The header for each document
> should acknowledge that Apache has licensed (from the original
> contributions) the rights required to offer the document to the public
> under the Apache License, Version 2 but almost always will not contain
> a copyright claim.

I think it's mostly the distinction between copyright on the individual
contributions and the 'collective copyright' which was the missing piece
in my puzzle. :)

<snip>
> The documentation needs improvement in this area. I'd be glad to
> review patches and work with anyone would could find some cycles to
> contribute. Anyone want to start by diving in with suggestions?

I'll try to come up with some initial suggestions for the resources I've
consulted following your explanation.

Sander