Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scrumpy Jack <pa...@bmssolutions.com> on 2008/10/18 20:08:17 UTC

Tomcat6+ISAPI+IIS+Integrated Authentication+Large User

Hi
I'm trying to resolve an issue with Integrated Authentication when a user
with a large Group Membership tries to access a site served by Tomcat via
IIS ISAPI Redirect.

For all other users, access is fine. For users with 70+ Windows groups, they
are failing to be redirected and are getting a 500 error. Basic
Authentication works fine.

Tomcat 6
IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003
ISAPI 1.2.26
32 bit

Access to IIS for the same users (i.e. with no ISAPI filter) is fine. We
have explored various Kerberos package size options in initial
troubleshooting, but once we realized that IIS alone worked fine, it now
appears that whatever is being passed to the ISAPI filter via IIS as part of
the Authentication process is exceeding some buffer. The user is prompted
for credentials (but shouldn't be) and will fail to get access regardless of
what is typed. IE classifies site as Internet, when it isn't (And doesn't
get mistrated for other users - i.e. Shows as Local Intranet and no user
prompt appears)

Can anyone point me in the direction of settings that increase buffer (?)
settings related to Integrated Authentication? Any ideas as to where I
should focus? (i.e. the ISAPI Filter config end, or Tomcat end?)

Thanks!!!

RE: Tomcat6+ISAPI+IIS+Integrated Authentication+Large User

Posted by zdnagy <zd...@yahoo.com>.
Hello

have you found any solution for this problem, because we are facing exactly
with the same problem?

For every user with small group membership the redirector works fine but for
heavy users not. We got http 413 in IIS log. If we use Jakarta 2.x then we
step a little bit further because we got an authentication window but any
username/pwd pair is failing, said Permission denied. Another issue, running
browser on the server machine locally everything is fine, the problem
appears only through network access. Another issue, using IP address instead
of the server FQDN in the url everything is fine.

RE: Tomcat6+ISAPI+IIS+Integrated Authentication+Large User

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Paul-

unless otherwise configured please re-xmit (or display inline) the latest of %WINDIR%/system32/LogFiles/W3SVC1/*.log

thx
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Posted by Scrumpy Jack <pa...@bmssolutions.com>.
Hi

Posted by Scrumpy Jack <pa...@bmssolutions.com>.
Hi

Unfortunately the log I've uploaded isn't quite what you asked for. We have
little access or control over the remote system, so this is just the start
of the log. There are too many accesses in between to isolate the point
where the failing user tries to connect - other than to say it doesn't even
appear to make it to the logs (The access time was recorded by the user, but
nothing appears in the ISAPI log at that time)

A second site with the same issue is trying to get a clean log with only the
failing user entry in it. This may come through in the next few days.

It does seem that the 8k http header limit is our most likely culprit. Are
you able to share how I increase this as that will be easy for me to have
tested? Am happy to test whatever values you recommend that will hopefully
confirm this is the right area to focus - I just haven't found a reference
to this setting anywhere.

Thanks
Paul

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.