Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by fl...@gmx.de on 2008/12/18 14:25:43 UTC

Bayeux/Cometd API question

Hi together,

I've developed a Bayeux/Cometd application using the Jetty implementation running in Tomcat 5. Development started several month back with no Tomcat Bayeux implementation available.
With this setup the application works well for limited traffic but of course not for high-volume traffic (since that way it can't really scale). I'm following the Tomcat Bayeux development for several months now. Currently, I'm somewhat concerned about the Bayeux-API differences between Jetty and Tomcat, and I can't see any sign/any attempt of unifying the API (this prevents us to switch to the Tomcat Bayeux implementation and we need to even think about switching completely to Jetty).

I know that org.cometd.Bayeux is not a real standardized thing and it's being hosted at mortbay.org. But are there any plans for the Tomcat implementation to catch up with the latest (at least half-"official") API? Or even any vision of Tomcat/Jetty people pulling Bayeux/Cometd together towards a common direction/standardized API (or even JSR)? The current situation is somewhat unfortunate for a developer of a large Bayeux/Cometd application.

Best Regards,
Florian
--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a

Re: Bayeux/Cometd API question

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
fl-00@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi Filip,
>
> ok, I'll take a look at the current implementation and if the effort seems reasonable for me, I'll try to allocate some days during the next (let's say 3-6) weeks to contribute an implementation for the current API.
excellent.
>  I would then really propose to use the API interface package org.cometd.* as used by Jetty (and others). Would that be ok for you?

this is the Apache Software Foundation, so software here, unless we
implement a standard, is always prefixed org.apache
> If I have questions left, should I post them to the dev list here or should I contact you directly?

the mailing list is the way to go, anyone who wishes to participate can
> Regards,
> Florian
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> Datum: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:01:26 -0700
>> Von: Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>
>> An: Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>
>> Betreff: Re: Bayeux/Cometd API question
>>

>> Feel free to contribute any API changes you feel need to be added
>>
>> Filip
>>
>> fl-00@gmx.de wrote:
>>
>>> Hi together,
>>>
>>> I've developed a Bayeux/Cometd application using the Jetty
>>>
>> implementation running in Tomcat 5. Development started several month back with no
>> Tomcat Bayeux implementation available.
>>
>>> With this setup the application works well for limited traffic but of
>>>
>> course not for high-volume traffic (since that way it can't really scale).
>> I'm following the Tomcat Bayeux development for several months now.
>> Currently, I'm somewhat concerned about the Bayeux-API differences between Jetty and
>> Tomcat, and I can't see any sign/any attempt of unifying the API (this
>> prevents us to switch to the Tomcat Bayeux implementation and we need to even
>> think about switching completely to Jetty).
>>
>>> I know that org.cometd.Bayeux is not a real standardized thing and it's
>>>
>> being hosted at mortbay.org. But are there any plans for the Tomcat
>> implementation to catch up with the latest (at least half-"official") API? Or even
>> any vision of Tomcat/Jetty people pulling Bayeux/Cometd together towards a
>> common direction/standardized API (or even JSR)? The current situation is
>> somewhat unfortunate for a developer of a large Bayeux/Cometd application.
>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Florian

Re: Bayeux/Cometd API question

Posted by fl...@gmx.de.
Hi Filip,

ok, I'll take a look at the current implementation and if the effort seems reasonable for me, I'll try to allocate some days during the next (let's say 3-6) weeks to contribute an implementation for the current API. I would then really propose to use the API interface package org.cometd.* as used by Jetty (and others). Would that be ok for you?

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.