Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by Clifford Audinet <cl...@stonebranch.com> on 2007/02/23 18:23:31 UTC

[WSIF] Dynamic Invocation Evaluation Question

Hello,

I have a project that has several requirements related to dynamic
invocation of web services using SOAP and async messaging using JMS.
Our product is written in C and so initially I thought that using the
new Axis2/C implementation might be the way to go as it supports client
side dynamic invocation of web services.

However, there are some clear benefits in implementing the web
services client in Java.  This led me to look at the Axis2 Java
implementation which doesn't have support for dynamic invocation.  That
lead me to the WSIF project which appears to meet my requirements.  So a
couple of questions:

1) It looks like the last release was 2003 and that there was a release
planned for 2006.  Is that release still planned?
2) As I will be going through the samples over the next couple of days
is it advisable to pull the source for bug fixes, etc that occurred post
2003 release?

Thank you for your time,

Cliff

--
Clifford Audinet
Software Architect

Stonebranch, Inc.
950 North Point Parkway
Suite 200
Alpharetta, Ga 30005
(678) 366-7887 X316
http://www.stonebranch.com
mailto:clifford.audinet@stonebranch.com

Re: [WSIF] Dynamic Invocation Evaluation Question

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Christian Kloner wrote:
> there are a lot of interesting questions and i see that we are quite
> using different technologies.
hi chris!

i think which is simply reflection of differences in goals (i care very
much about adaptivity and dynamic workflows as it is main goal for
workflows we want to run in leadproject.org) - nonetheless i see no
reason why we should not cooperate and make possible to have workflows
work together :-)
> So perhaps we can measure performance of engines at some later point
> when weep is going to have a greater subset of bpel implemented.
> because at moment we have only infrastructure and activities invoke,
> assign, receive (this only partly because wsdl is not exposed and user
> can only send a soap message to the receive activity through the web
> browser interface). it would be quite interesting to have detailed
> performance results not only on the execution of the workflow as a
> whole but what impact used technologies have and where improvements
> can be made. So if you are interested in that topic later, it would be
> rather fine. we can save great time also in comparing other engines
> like apache agila/ode or jboss engine...
i am interested more in scalability then (micro)benchmarks in
particular: what is the upper limit of number of concurrent workflows
that can be sustained with good turnaround, can system survive crashes
and continue execution after restarting, to what degree it can support
load-balancing and fail-over. as most workflows we run are spending 99%
waiting for service response (some service may take hours or longer to
produce result) so it makes sense in gpel to swap out workflow state to
persistent storage - this allow to support very large number of
concurrent workflows - still i am interested in quick workflows (that
may invoke lot of service that take very short time to produce response
message) but that is not my focus (and gpel is not optimized for it).

> so maybe, if you agree, we can move discussion to the
> weep-dev@globus.org mailing list.
i created a mailing list that is not specific to any particular project
but generally about workflows (not just bpel) and web services (any web
services - rest, soap, wsrf, ws-i etc etc ...) - please subscribe to it
and we can continue over there:

i have also subscribed to weep-dev and i send CC to it as well but as
the topic is not weep specific so maybe it is better to have a place to
is not specific to any project
> at moment in my timezone, it's 6 o'clock in the morning and I need to
> go to bed...
:-)
> so i will answer the questions in the night today. Normally you write
> your mails at 1/2 o'clock a.m (i assume my timezone ;) ) so i will
> write the things to the weep-dev@globus.org mailing list at that time.
> further informations can found there:
> http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/WEEP. at the moment we are just
> starting to document so there is not so much information available.
how i can try to week [1]?

best,

alek

[1] why name it WEEP? i hope the project is not making you to shed too
many tears ;->)

Posted by Christian Kloner <kl...@par.univie.ac.at>.
hi alek,

there are a lot of interesting questions and i see that we are quite
using different technologies. So perhaps we can measure performance of

weep-dev@globus.org mailing list. at moment in my timezone, it's 6
o'clock in the morning and I need to go to bed...  so i will answer the
questions in the night today. Normally you write your mails at 1/2
o'clock a.m (i assume my timezone ;) ) so i will write the things to the
weep-dev@globus.org mailing list at that time. further informations can
found there: http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/WEEP. at the moment we
are just starting to document so there is not so much information available.

best,
chris

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
hi,

Posted by Christian Kloner <kl...@par.univie.ac.at>.
Aleksander Slominski wrote:
> Christian Kloner wrote:
>> Does not know if i understood correct but using raw XML messages does
>> not mean that you forgo type handling. you can still validate against
>> schema if the SOAP envelope conforms to doc/literal or
>> doc/literal/wrapped (WS-I Profile). If you use a dynamic approach you
>> have to parse wsdl files and schemata anyway to know, how the SOAP
>> body message should look like.
> yes and that is the catch - there no good libraries for that (at least i
> do not know about) so you need to implement that yourself if you want
> flexibility
but to my best knowledge, xml parser validation should be able to handle
this. but i am not 100% sure. anyway, i used wsdl4j and XmlSchema API to
get my own representation for the price of high memory consumption. I am
really looking forward to apache woden (including wsdl 1.1 support if
hopefully ever implemented).

>> In my approach, I transformed this information into internal
>> description representation and used visitor pattern to visit the
>> descriptions to create a dynamic SOAP envelope. Only the values are
>> needed in the right order with special marks for array, complex type,
>> attribute. But this is implementation specific.
> so what you did you implemented your own (as minimal as needed) type
> handling code - not exactly a trivial task and always incomplete at best
> considering level of complexity present in XML schemas (to get it right
> i thhink you need team of minimum 5-10 people working for a year if not
> longer ...)
you are right. attributes and groups/choices (althouth marked in the
description model) are not supported. the rest should work if you use
DocLiteralWriter implementation. In case of RpcEncodedWriter, arrays
will additionally be not supported. to much work for one... anyway, I
have consideration to take description model out and work directly on
the XmlSchema (Apache XmlSchema API). Because at the moment i transform
the schemata with XMLSchema API into description model.
>> Of course, if you have services using RMI or CORBA instead of SOAP you
>> need another abstraction layer where WSIF can help if it supports the
>> transport protocols. It's long time ago when i worked with it. :(
>> But the big advantage of Web service technology is to achieve
>> interoperability through standards revolving around XML. So I don't
>> think that another abstraction layer is really needed.
> i agree however that also mean that you do not really need WSDL
> abstraction as you work with XML and then just get XML infoset to be
> sent the way of WSDL binding/service/endpoint - unfortunately current
> Apache WSIF will not help you much to do it as it was designed and
> implemented with Java types first and not with XML infoset first
> approach (so that is why there is need for mapping of Java objects to to
> representation for each WSDL/WSIF  binding ...)
>
> i think it would certainly be useful to have complementary WSIF that has
> XML infoset first.
would be nice. but in my opinion, the third generation of web service
frameworks almost makes WSIF useless under assumption that you only work
with Web services. they can handle everything what is needed. in the
past it was fine to switch between the old apache soap engine and axis
engine but technologies are changing... but perhaps exactly there is a
new up wind for WSIF. I heard about new version with Axis2 support and
if there was support for XFire or rather CeltiXfire, WSIF would be a
consideration again. So you are able not to bind to a specific Web
service framework. Seems that you are active using WSIF.
>> but in short, it depends on the requirements.
> exactly - there is really no one tool for every task and WSIF is just a
> tool at the end of day ...
>> p.s.: how is the status of the GPEL engine?
> almost finished - i got first version working (and used in our portal).
congratulations!
>> i am really interested in how your implementation strategies are.
>> do you do any static code analyzing so far or rather do you use
>> XMLBeans to get BPEL in memory representation.
> i concentrated on dynamic and adaptive aspects of workflows so *maximum*
> flexibility was my goal so i avoided static type checking as much as
> possible ... you could look on GPEL engine to have two responsibilities:
> maintain workflow state as XML (as visible to clients) and model
> workflow execution as XML transformations that follow BPEL rules (i only
> implemented subset of BPEL as i am the only one implementing it and
> moreover BPEL has much more than what is needed in scientific workflows
> we run)
I also only have subset at the moment. In my implementation, workflow
state is in hsqldb database using iBatis, which is queried through
Globus Resource Properties.
I hope I can ask you a few more questions and abuse this mailing list
for some other things.
So do you use XMlBeans (using Java classes created from xsd bpel schema)
to get BPEL representation? getting bpel into memory and analysing it is
a hot spot. I considered to let this another service doing.
some days ago, I looked at your Java client API(I don't know the
portal). Are there any considerations why you didn't use a package
approach to deploy Bpel processes. I find it much more easier to create
one archive with all the files and send it to the engine. if you don't

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Christian Kloner <kl...@par.univie.ac.at>.
hi alek,

Does not know if i understood correct but using raw XML messages does
not mean that you forgo type handling. you can still validate against
schema if the SOAP envelope conforms to doc/literal or
doc/literal/wrapped (WS-I Profile). If you use a dynamic approach you
have to parse wsdl files and schemata anyway to know, how the SOAP body
message should look like. In my approach, I transformed this information
into internal description representation and used visitor pattern to
visit the descriptions to create a dynamic SOAP envelope. Only the
values are needed in the right order with special marks for array,
complex type, attribute. But this is implementation specific.

Of course, if you have services using RMI or CORBA instead of SOAP you
need another abstraction layer where WSIF can help if it supports the
transport protocols. It's long time ago when i worked with it. :(
But the big advantage of Web service technology is to achieve
interoperability through standards revolving around XML. So I don't
think that another abstraction layer is really needed.

but in short, it depends on the requirements.

best regards,
chris

p.s.: how is the status of the GPEL engine? i am really interested in
how your implementation strategies are. do you do any static code
analyzing so far or rather do you use XMLBeans to get BPEL in memory
representation. Apache now started workflow project with synergy effect:

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Christian Kloner <kl...@par.univie.ac.at>.
hi,