Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/14 23:49:42 UTC

Hosting links to pre-Apache releases

Good day,

We have moved the Apache MADlib (incubating) web site to ASF infra at
http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/

However there is remaining a download page for pre-ASF releases on the old
infra at
http://madlib.net/download/

Is it OK and appropriate to move the http://madlib.net/download/ download
page to http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/ as well, as long as we clearly
indicate that the artifacts are pre-ASF?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Re: Hosting links to pre-Apache releases

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Sorry... I missed this last week.

Apache Subversion did not move old releases onto ASF hardware until after
we graduated. At that point, we moved them directly onto
archive.a.o/dist/subversion. They are not ASF releases, but they are useful
from an archival standpoint. We certainly had an advantage that all the
early releases were under an Apache Software License v1.1 style of license.
Part of our move into the ASF was also to switch the codebase to ALv2.

The theory we used was that many of the ASF's releases contain third-party
code under compatible licenses. Meaning, we *already* host third-party code
on archive.a.o, so these old releases did not violate any existing policy.
In fact, being releases of now-Apache software, they fit even better on
archive.a.o than true/remaining third-party, license-compatible code.

Hope that helps,
-g

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
CCing Greg directly since he dealt with this for SVN

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Frank McQuillan wrote on 3/14/16 6:49 PM:
>> Good day,
>>
>> We have moved the Apache MADlib (incubating) web site to ASF infra at
>> http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/
>>
>> However there is remaining a download page for pre-ASF releases on the old
>> infra at
>> http://madlib.net/download/
>>
>> Is it OK and appropriate to move the http://madlib.net/download/ download
>> page to http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/ as well, as long as we clearly
>> indicate that the artifacts are pre-ASF?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Frank
>>
> Sounds appropriate to me.  Ensure people know they're not ASF releases,
> but are from the earlier organization (i.e. whoever is donating the
> project), and be crystal clear if the license is different than the
> Apache license.

Agreed. The good news is that the previous license has an added benefit
of being compatible with ALv2, but of course we still have to be crystal clear
on that.

Any good example of this that currently exist in ASF?

> Note we probably don't want to host the actual downloads themselves;
> just point to the existing old download page.

Actually, we'd rather move the bits to ASF infra (if that's ok).

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Hosting links to pre-Apache releases

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Frank McQuillan wrote on 3/14/16 6:49 PM:
> Good day,
>
> We have moved the Apache MADlib (incubating) web site to ASF infra at
> http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/
>
> However there is remaining a download page for pre-ASF releases on the old
> infra at
> http://madlib.net/download/
>
> Is it OK and appropriate to move the http://madlib.net/download/ download
> page to http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/ as well, as long as we clearly
> indicate that the artifacts are pre-ASF?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Frank

Sounds appropriate to me.  Ensure people know they're not ASF releases,
but are from the earlier organization (i.e. whoever is donating the
project), and be crystal clear if the license is different than the
Apache license.

Note we probably don't want to host the actual downloads themselves;
just point to the existing old download page.  Including links to
previous releases can be important and useful information for users who
might want to see history or get old code.

Also, for perspective as to some other ways that it's OK to link to
other corporate pages, see these best practices:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking

- Shane