Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/11/03 11:54:48 UTC

What to do with FTPServer and AltRMI

(please respond solely to general@incubator.apache.org)

Depot incubation has stopped for lack of development and for lack of
will on my part to continue mentoring.

IMHO we now have to decide what to do with FTPServer and AltRMI, which
seem dormant and are in a similar state. In particular I'm asking this
to the Mentors and developers of these two projects.

In practice, given that we have decided to remove projects@i.a.o, should
I request the creation of separate mailing lists for these projects or not?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: What to do with FTPServer and AltRMI

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 04 November 2004 00:22, Sergey M Vladimirov wrote:

> NH> No problem. Just follow the ASL 2.0 license, which effectively allows
> you to NH> do whatever you like as long as you don't remove the Copyright
> and don't use NH> the Apache brand names. See the header in source files
> for location of full NH> license text.
> Hmmm... If I want to save name of project "Apache FTPServer" - is it
> an illegal use of trademark?

yes.

> So, can I use such project name and move all code to SF?

No.

It would require explicit permission from the ASF.
I have no idea how easy that would be, but my guess is; Fairly difficult.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re[2]: What to do with FTPServer and AltRMI

Posted by Sergey M Vladimirov <bs...@land.ru>.
Good day, Niclas.

You wrote 3, november 2004 ., 19:05:33:

>> Can I continue working with it on SourceForge? (I have no access to
>> Apache CVS, and my patches on JIRA goes nowhere).
NH> No problem. Just follow the ASL 2.0 license, which effectively allows you to
NH> do whatever you like as long as you don't remove the Copyright and don't use
NH> the Apache brand names. See the header in source files for location of full
NH> license text.
Hmmm... If I want to save name of project "Apache FTPServer" - is it
an illegal use of trademark? So, can I use such project name and move
all code to SF?

--
With best regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:bsp@land.ru

Re: What to do with FTPServer and AltRMI

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Sergey M Vladimirov <bs...@land.ru>.
Здравствуйте, Niclas.

Вы писали 3 ноября 2004 г., 14:22:59:

NH> FTPserver is apparently not of enough interest either, although I suspect some
NH> people are forking it themselves, since it ain't that hard to get a grip on
NH> the code.

NH> I would concur that these projects has lost community, not gained, by moving
NH> to the incubator, and should be delisted, and possibly all moved to
NH> archive.apache.org.
Question: what if I want to continue working on FTPServer?

Can I continue working with it on SourceForge? (I have no access to
Apache CVS, and my patches on JIRA goes nowhere).

--
С уважением,
 Sergey                          mailto:bsp@land.ru

Re: What to do with FTPServer and AltRMI

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 03 November 2004 18:54, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> IMHO we now have to decide what to do with FTPServer and AltRMI, which
> seem dormant and are in a similar state. In particular I'm asking this
> to the Mentors and developers of these two projects.

Yes, if these two are not considered dormant, I don't know what is.

Paul Hammant is the guy behind AltRMI, and I guess that if he wants to
continue, it will/could happen elsewhere without much disturbance.
The prior dependency on AltRMI in Excalibur, AFAIK, has been removed in favour
of an HTTP connection type.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> IMHO we now have to decide what to do with FTPServer and AltRMI, which
> seem dormant

I have asked Paul about AltRMI, and he was actively trying to build
Community as of even a few months ago, but has diverted his attention to
POJOifying Avalon apps.  If I recall correctly, FTPServer is his testbed for
that effort.  FTPServer was a victim, IMO, of the Avalon meltdown.  It might
find a place as a Geronimo plug-in, once Paul has finished his work.

> In practice, given that we have decided to remove projects@i.a.o, should
> I request the creation of separate mailing lists for these projects or
not?

That would be the case if they continue.

	--- Noel