Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Jonah Benton <jo...@jonah.com> on 2010/05/26 17:03:17 UTC

hierarchical proxy dispatch

Hi folks,

Thanks for traffic server, it looks like a great addition to the ecosystem.

I shortly expect to have several web applications that own overlapping
portions of the same taxonomy. The web applications come from
different sources, and resources are being migrated between sources in
fluid ways. A path /a/b/c/d/e may be properly fulfilled by application
1 this week and application 2 next week. Generating a mapping of path
to application is not an easy thing to do, and the taxonomy is
enormous.

I'm looking for a proxy that would visit the applications in a defined
order for each request, returning to the user the first non-404
response. I noted traffic server's support for a proxy/cache
hierarchy, though the semantics are based on service availability,
rather than resource presence.

Is my use case something that traffic server knows about or can be
taught how to do? If it's fairly simple to do this in a plugin, that
might be an option.

Thanks,

Jonah