Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/11/13 01:11:31 UTC

Re: location of httpd.h (Was: logging before exit) (fwd)

>>> I'd suggest both parties follow the tradition. Apache should have a
>>> 'make install' that installs both binary and header file, and modperl
>>> should not insist on seeing the apache source but should ask for the
>>> installed header file. (And search for it in /usr/local/include etc.)

No way -- httpd.h is an internal configuration file which is specific
to a particular server source tree (remember, there may be more than one
on a machine).  It doesn't belong outside the apache tree.  Why don't
they just setup a modules/mod_perl/* directory and then refer to it
as ../../httpd.h (or, better, just as httpd.h and let make set up
the -I options).

.....Roy

Re: location of httpd.h (Was: logging before exit) (fwd)

Posted by ra...@vex.net.
> No way -- httpd.h is an internal configuration file which is specific
> to a particular server source tree (remember, there may be more than one
> on a machine).  It doesn't belong outside the apache tree.  Why don't
> they just setup a modules/mod_perl/* directory and then refer to it
> as ../../httpd.h (or, better, just as httpd.h and let make set up
> the -I options).

For mod_php, I have a question during the installation where users need
to specify which directory the httpd.h they wish to use resides.  I don't
see a nice way around this.  Sticking it in /usr/local/include by default
would be a nightmare.  For one, I don't have a /usr/local/include on my
machine, and second, I have a bunch of different versions of Apache and NCSA
all installed.

-Rasmus

Re: location of httpd.h (Was: logging before exit) (fwd)

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@osf.org>.
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> No way -- httpd.h is an internal configuration file which is specific
> to a particular server source tree (remember, there may be more than one
> on a machine).  It doesn't belong outside the apache tree.

True, good point.

> Why don't
> they just setup a modules/mod_perl/* directory and then refer to it
> as ../../httpd.h (or, better, just as httpd.h and let make set up
> the -I options).

This is exactly what mod_perl does now.  But, there are two sides of the build, the
apache part (httpd + libmodperl.a) and the perl part, several modules built and
installed by Perl's MakeMaker, one of which is Apache::Constants who needs httpd.h.
Rob wants to build the httpd binary once, then install the perl side on other machines
without taking the apache source tree along too.
We'll come up with another solution...

-Doug