Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sarang Shrivastava <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/05 16:35:16 UTC

Re: Gsoc 2019 SpamAssassin Proposal

Hi Kevin,

I went through the proposal. It looks crisp. I had a few things which were
still unclear to me and was not sure if we should mention these things in
proposal or not ?

1) The statistical ML models can be implemented in python as it has
enormous amount of library support for the same. We can then use this
trained model to pass in scores for a new email via a plugin in perl. Do
you think this is feasible ? Do you have bay alternative approach in mind
by which we can do this ?

2) Lets say that we have mentioned some models in our proposal and they
don't perform that well in the actual evaluation phase. In that case are we
flexible enough to try new models on the fly which weren't even mentioned
in the proposal ?

Cheers,
Sarang

Posted by "Shreyansh Shrivastava." <sh...@nitk.edu.in>.
Hey Kevin,

I have tried to include all the suggestions. Also, the testing phase is
added in the proposal.

Since only two days are left for the proposal submission deadline, I would
really appreciate any further pointers from you and the community to make
the proposal better.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 4/5/2019 12:35 PM, Sarang Shrivastava wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I went through the proposal. It looks crisp. I had a few things which
> were still unclear to me and was not sure if we should mention these
> things in proposal or not ?
>
> 1) The statistical ML models can be implemented in python as it has
> enormous amount of library support for the same. We can then use this
> trained model to pass in scores for a new email via a plugin in perl.
> Do you think this is feasible ? Do you have bay alternative approach
> in mind by which we can do this ?

Sure, using python is feasible though I won't be able to help much with
python.  You'll be teaching me.

Can you restate your bay alternative question?

> 2) Lets say that we have mentioned some models in our proposal and
> they don't perform that well in the actual evaluation phase. In that
> case are we flexible enough to try new models on the fly which weren't
> even mentioned in the proposal ?

Sure but I would say to set your goals on what's in the proposal.  Time
management is the reason for most failures in the program.

Regards,

KAM