Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Miki Tebeka <mi...@saucelabs.com> on 2010/05/26 04:08:26 UTC

Replicating a big server?

Hello,

I have a server with about 2300 databases in it, it's about 7GB on disk.
I'd like to replicate it but I'm unsure how CouchDB will handle the load.

Any insights on how to do this without downtime?

Miki <mi...@saucelabs.com>

Re: Replicating a big server?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
There's no built in way to throttle replication easily.

You can play with the [replicator] settings in the config file and set
max_http_sessions lower, but you'll need to increase the pipeline or
replication might die and complain about not being able to open a
connection. If you only replicate one DB at a time and increase the
pipeline to 100 I think you should be safe.

You might also try just replicating without worrying about anything
and couch should do fine. You may notice increased load and higher
latencies on the source database, but unless you're *really* pushing
the limits of what it can serve already it won't cause downtime.

Definitely replicate one at a time.