Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Kai Storbeck <ka...@xs4all.net> on 2014/08/08 15:38:44 UTC

Network without Virtual Router (2)

Hello,

I'm looking for some technical advice regarding Advanced Networking and
Network offerings.

Our Cloudstack setup will need to provision VM's in different existing
VLANs together with existing physical hardware. These existing servers
on those VLAN's only have public IPspace and are connected to public
routers.

Turning to Google, I found Remi Bergsma's blog entry about a Network
offering without a virtual router:
  http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/03/10/howto-create-a-network

In this setup, we would be assigning real ipspace for assignment to
Guests. In our setup, guests really only need their public IP.

Quoting Geoff Higginbottom:

> You just need to create a new network offering with no services, and probably with the specify
> VLAN option selected.
>
> The thing to be aware of is that even without DHCP enabled, CloudStack will still 'assign'
> an IP address which will appear in the UI, but the VM will obviously need the IP to be assigned
> manually, or via an external DHCP server etc

I Have tried this in a test setup, but since I'm not "up to my sleeves"
in this project I have a few questions:

- Will such a thing be supported in future versions of Cloudstack? (i.e.
no services at all)

- The (existing) physical hardware in the VLAN's are configured
staticly. What happens in a "DHCP only" networking offering? Will
Cloudstack spin up a routing vm for every guest network for the DHCP
service? Can I influence which IPs are in use by other hardware?

- Remi stated back then (2012) that one couldn't use the GUI for
creating VM's. Is that still the case in 4.4 anno 2014?

- Any other disadvantages or reasons why one shouldn't want this
configuration in the long run? Or are there other solutions for this
challenge?

Thanks for your input

Kind regards,
Kai Storbeck

--
Systeembeheer XS4ALL Internet bv
Internet: www.xs4all.nl

Re: Network without Virtual Router (2)

Posted by Todd Pigram <to...@toddpigram.com>.
1. Create a new network offering with only 'Source NAT' using virtual
router.  - Has to have this or you won't be able to select from list when
selecting router on Isolated network creation.
2. Create a new domain(test)
3. Dedicate the VLAN to that domain (so if your guest network is 200-210)
dedicate 200-200 to test
4. create an isolated test-network with the default gateway as x.x.x.2 (as
you have router/firewall as .1 elsewhere on the network)
5. spin you VMs via UI. ACS/CCP will try and assign IP, but without w/o
DHCP/DNS, it will just show on Instance, Nics tab the IP it thinks it
assigned.
6. either have DHCP elsewhere or hardcode the IP but with what shows on
Nics tab, but with the .1 gateway.

I have done this with both PfSense and Meraki firewalls.

Hope this helps.

Todd Pigram
http://about.me/ToddPigram
www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/