Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> on 2011/07/06 01:18:00 UTC

httpd ldap mess

Hi Bill,
can you please tell me how it is intended to make mod_authnz_ldap.c
aware of AP_HAS_LDAP ?
I see you added ap_ldap.h[w|nw] which should define it, but for NetWare
mod_authnz_ldap.c still bails out:
CC   mod_authnz_ldap.c
### mwccnlm Compiler:
#    File: mod_authnz_ldap.c
# --------------------------
#      38:  #error mod_authnz_ldap requires LDAP support. To fix add
--with-ldap to ./configure.
#   Error:       ^
#   preprocessor #error directive

can you please clarify?

thanks, Gün.

Re: httpd ldap mess

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 7/6/2011 6:07 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I have vetoed the mess you've just referred to, and I expect wrowe to revert this change
> as per this project's rules.

Per the project rules, you have failed to offer a valid technical
justification for your veto.  It represents an opinion.  Right now,
I have a much technical justification than you, due to the fact that
updating apr-util and replacing the ldap library consumed by apr-util
breaks an installed mod_ldap, violating binary compatibility guidelines.

> If this is still not done by the end of the week I will make plans to do so myself,
> however I am currently arranging a wedding, and that comes first right now.

Do not unilaterally revert.  Doing so based on an unsubstantiated veto
jeopardizes your commit privileges.  Speaking for a moment as project
chair, I will not permit svn to be abused with commit wars.

I have put this to a [vote] as you had not done so, since you desire
some path to change the current direction.

Others at this list have expressed an interest in working with the
current state of trunk.  I've just completed a rather intensive project
and can again dedicate cycles to further testing and improving the
status quo for 2.3 beta.  I do know that things built on linux and win32
when I had last looked, but that was only with wldap32.dll and openldap
tests.  As we fix one thing, it is altogether possible that we break
something else, and I'm happy to help clean up today.

Complete refactoring at httpd would permit us to build mod_ldap_openldap
alongside other library options, something apr_util cannot provide.

Re: httpd ldap mess

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 06 Jul 2011, at 1:18 AM, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> can you please tell me how it is intended to make mod_authnz_ldap.c
> aware of AP_HAS_LDAP ?
> I see you added ap_ldap.h[w|nw] which should define it, but for
> NetWare mod_authnz_ldap.c still bails out:
> CC   mod_authnz_ldap.c
> ### mwccnlm Compiler:
> #    File: mod_authnz_ldap.c
> # --------------------------
> #      38:  #error mod_authnz_ldap requires LDAP support. To fix add
> --with-ldap to ./configure.
> #   Error:       ^
> #   preprocessor #error directive
>
> can you please clarify?

I have vetoed the mess you've just referred to, and I expect wrowe to
revert this change as per this project's rules.

If this is still not done by the end of the week I will make plans to
do so myself, however I am currently arranging a wedding, and that
comes first right now.

Regards,
Graham

Re: httpd ldap mess

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 06.07.2011 01:18, schrieb Guenter Knauf:
> Hi Bill,
> can you please tell me how it is intended to make mod_authnz_ldap.c
> aware of AP_HAS_LDAP ?
> I see you added ap_ldap.h[w|nw] which should define it, but for NetWare
> mod_authnz_ldap.c still bails out:
> CC mod_authnz_ldap.c
> ### mwccnlm Compiler:
> # File: mod_authnz_ldap.c
> # --------------------------
> # 38: #error mod_authnz_ldap requires LDAP support. To fix add
> --with-ldap to ./configure.
> # Error: ^
> # preprocessor #error directive
>
> can you please clarify?

next logic I cant get is this:
ap_ldap_init.h includes ap_ldap.h ( _after_ '#if AP_HAS_LDAP' although
AP_HAS_LDAP should be defined in ap_ldap.h )

ap_ldap.h includes ap_ldap_init.h itself ??

Gün.

Re: httpd ldap mess

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 06.07.2011 21:21, schrieb Stefan Fritsch:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2011, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> can you please tell me how it is intended to make mod_authnz_ldap.c
>> aware of AP_HAS_LDAP ?
>
> It should be available via ap_config.h, either directly of via some
> header included from there. It's in ap_config_auto.h on unix.
well, then bad that its defined in ap_ldap.h since this is again a macro
redefinition; but anyway we dont have ap_config_auto.h on Windows and
NetWare, so I think we should let ap_ldap.h define it, and therefore
always include this header unconditionally.

Gün.

Re: httpd ldap mess

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.