Posted to user@livy.apache.org by Joaquín Silva <jo...@akainix.com> on 2017/07/25 15:35:27 UTC

Livy jobs keeps runing forever

Hello,

I'm new in Livy, and I have this problem.

When I run a batch job like this:

curl -X POST --data '{"file": "/user/spark/program.jar", "className": "my.program"}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" LIVY-HOST:8998/batches

The program keeps runing for ever.

Searching in the logs I found the reason:

17/07/25 14:21:46 ERROR yarn.ApplicationMaster: User class threw exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

So in order to solve this issue I increased the executor and driver memory: "driverMemory":"15g","executorMemory":"15g". But I still seen this error.

So I tried running this job directly  using spark-submit and it worked perfectly, no memory error.

spark-submit --class my.program  --deploy-mode cluster --conf spark.master=yarn hdfs://HDFS_NN:8020/user/spark/program.jar

I'm using Livy 0.4.0-SNAPSHOT on Spark 2.1.0.

Joaquín Silva | Pentagon Security & AKAINIX

Av. Kennedy 4.700, Piso 10, Of. 1002, Edificio New Century, Vitacura | Código Postal (ZIP Code) 7561127

Cel: (56-9) 6304 2498

Re: Livy jobs keeps runing forever

Posted by Meisam Fathi <me...@gmail.com>.
Livy garbage collects jobs. These setting in conf/livy.com are available to
control how Livy garbage collects sessions.
livy.server.session.timeout-check
ivy.server.session.timeout
livy.server.session.state-retain.sec

In our clusters, we have seen sometimes batch jobs fail to start and remain
in the starting state forever. With the current logic for garbage
collection in Livy, such jobs are never garbage collected. We modified the
garbage collection logic so that all jobs are eventually garbage collected
unless they are in running state.

Thanks,
Meisam

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.