Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/14 00:41:09 UTC

Running Jetspeed 2 on Jonas 4.6.6

I'm currently in the processing of trying to get Jetspeed2 installed
and running on a number of different application servers:

JOnAS 4.6.6
WebLogic 9.1
WebSphere 6.0

I'll send separate e-mails regarding WebLogic and WebSphere and
concentrate on JOnAS for this e-mail.

I've been successfull in getting the Jetspeed application itself to
deploy, using the following steps:

1. Copy the following JARs to $JONAS_HOME/lib/ext:

derby-10.1.1.0.jar
jetspeed-api-2.0.jar
jetspeed-commons-2.0.jar
pluto-1.0.1.jar
portals-bridges-common-1.0.jar
portlet-api-1.0.jar

2. Add a jonas-web.xml to the jetspeed.war/WEB-INF:

<!DOCTYPE jonas-web-app PUBLIC "-//ObjectWeb//DTD JOnAS Web App 3.1//EN"
"http://www.objectweb.org/jonas/dtds/jonas-web-app_3_1.dtd">

<jonas-web-app>

   <jonas-resource>
     <res-ref-name>jdbc/jetspeed</res-ref-name>
     <jndi-name>JetspeedDB</jndi-name>
   </jonas-resource>

</jonas-web-app>

3. Create a JetspeedDB DataSource in the admin console:

JNDI name: JetspeedDB
User name:
User password:
Driver class name: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

4. Remove asm-1.5.3.jar and kasm-1.5.3.jar from lib/commons/jonas/asm
and add cglib-full-2.0.2.jar to this directory.  Move $JONAS_HOME/apps
to $JONAS_HOME/apps-bak since this change causes earsample.ear to
break.

5. Deploy the WAR using the admin console.

The deploy works, and there aren't any errors.  However, when I pull
up http://localhost:9000/jetspeed, all the portlets have the following
as the title:

Title Error: Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.

And something like the following in the body of the portlet:

Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
demo::PickANumberPortletjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot
pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.Failed to retrieve
Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve
Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortlet

Any idea what's causing this?

I'm running JDK 1.5.0_06 on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Running Jetspeed 2 on Jonas 4.6.6

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Matt Raible wrote:
> I'm currently in the processing of trying to get Jetspeed2 installed
> and running on a number of different application servers:
>
> JOnAS 4.6.6
> WebLogic 9.1
> WebSphere 6.0
>
> I'll send separate e-mails regarding WebLogic and WebSphere and
> concentrate on JOnAS for this e-mail.
>
> I've been successfull in getting the Jetspeed application itself to
> deploy, using the following steps:
>
> 1. Copy the following JARs to $JONAS_HOME/lib/ext:
>
> derby-10.1.1.0.jar
> jetspeed-api-2.0.jar
> jetspeed-commons-2.0.jar
> pluto-1.0.1.jar
> portals-bridges-common-1.0.jar
> portlet-api-1.0.jar
>
> 2. Add a jonas-web.xml to the jetspeed.war/WEB-INF:
>
> <!DOCTYPE jonas-web-app PUBLIC "-//ObjectWeb//DTD JOnAS Web App 3.1//EN"
> "http://www.objectweb.org/jonas/dtds/jonas-web-app_3_1.dtd">
>
> <jonas-web-app>
>
>    <jonas-resource>
>      <res-ref-name>jdbc/jetspeed</res-ref-name>
>      <jndi-name>JetspeedDB</jndi-name>
>    </jonas-resource>
>
> </jonas-web-app>
>
> 3. Create a JetspeedDB DataSource in the admin console:
>
> JNDI name: JetspeedDB
> User name:
> User password:
> Driver class name: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
>
> 4. Remove asm-1.5.3.jar and kasm-1.5.3.jar from lib/commons/jonas/asm
> and add cglib-full-2.0.2.jar to this directory.  Move $JONAS_HOME/apps
> to $JONAS_HOME/apps-bak since this change causes earsample.ear to
> break.
>
> 5. Deploy the WAR using the admin console.
>
> The deploy works, and there aren't any errors.  However, when I pull
> up http://localhost:9000/jetspeed, all the portlets have the following
> as the title:
>
> Title Error: Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.
>
> And something like the following in the body of the portlet:
>
> Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> demo::PickANumberPortletjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot
> pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.Failed to retrieve
> Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve
> Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortlet
>
> Any idea what's causing this?
Yeah. the demo portlet application isn't deployed yet.

The error message is rotten, I agree.
Just by accident, I happen to have "fixed" that yesterday in the 2.1-dev trunk :)
See: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-315#action_12374415

If you would test with the latest trunk version (which I definitely would suggest
if you're willing to build jetspeed (once) yourself: its much improved)
you would get an "error" message like:
   "Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortlet"

Still not a "nice" error message, but already an improvement I think.

Posted by Rohnny Moland <rm...@gmail.com>.
On 04/14/2006 12:41 AM, Matt Raible wrote:
> I'm currently in the processing of trying to get Jetspeed2 installed
> and running on a number of different application servers:
>
> JOnAS 4.6.6
> WebLogic 9.1
> WebSphere 6.0
>
> I'll send separate e-mails regarding WebLogic and WebSphere and
> concentrate on JOnAS for this e-mail.
>
> I've been successfull in getting the Jetspeed application itself to
> deploy, using the following steps:
>
> 1. Copy the following JARs to $JONAS_HOME/lib/ext:
>
> derby-10.1.1.0.jar
> jetspeed-api-2.0.jar
> jetspeed-commons-2.0.jar
> pluto-1.0.1.jar
> portals-bridges-common-1.0.jar
> portlet-api-1.0.jar
>
> 2. Add a jonas-web.xml to the jetspeed.war/WEB-INF:
>
> <!DOCTYPE jonas-web-app PUBLIC "-//ObjectWeb//DTD JOnAS Web App 3.1//EN"
> "http://www.objectweb.org/jonas/dtds/jonas-web-app_3_1.dtd">
>
> <jonas-web-app>
>
>    <jonas-resource>
>      <res-ref-name>jdbc/jetspeed</res-ref-name>
>      <jndi-name>JetspeedDB</jndi-name>
>    </jonas-resource>
>
> </jonas-web-app>
>
> 3. Create a JetspeedDB DataSource in the admin console:
>
> JNDI name: JetspeedDB
> User name:
> User password:
> Driver class name: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
>
> 4. Remove asm-1.5.3.jar and kasm-1.5.3.jar from lib/commons/jonas/asm
> and add cglib-full-2.0.2.jar to this directory.  Move $JONAS_HOME/apps
> to $JONAS_HOME/apps-bak since this change causes earsample.ear to
> break.
>
> 5. Deploy the WAR using the admin console.
>
> The deploy works, and there aren't any errors.  However, when I pull
> up http://localhost:9000/jetspeed, all the portlets have the following
> as the title:
>
> Title Error: Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.
>
> And something like the following in the body of the portlet:
>
> Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> demo::PickANumberPortletjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot
> pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.Failed to retrieve
> Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortletFailed to retrieve
> Portlet Definition for demo::PickANumberPortlet
>
> Any idea what's causing this?

Look in db table portlet_defition to be sure the portlets are
deployed/registered correctly. I have followed almost the same procedure
as you, except:
- used mysql as the database.
- stripped away commons-logging/log4j from jetspeed and added to jonas lib.
- Removed everything from jonas autoload directory and also changed
jonas.properties:
jonas.service.web.autoloaddir    .
- I also only deployed the portlets in j2-admin.war, and
jetspeed-decorations from jetspeed.
- Added a context.xml to jetspeed/META-INF with the context path and
crosscontext set to true.

The j2-admin portlets gets rendered then on screen, but I cannot login
(get a 403 error). I cannot see why you get the portlet defintion error,
perhaps it could be the context.xml you are missing?

Hope this helps,

Rohnny