Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2023/02/11 14:31:53 UTC

Re: [sa-list] Re: [External] warnings with sa-compile?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Does this still occur after a change I made yesterday?  I had a regex that
> some versions of perl handle and others didn't.

Still ongoing as of a few minutes ago.  If you want full output, let me
know.

If there's a way to force sa-compile to use gcc or something, that would
also be useful to know.

-Dan

Re: [sa-list] [External] warnings with sa-compile?

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 2023-02-11 at 09:31:53 UTC-0500 (Sat, 11 Feb 2023 06:31:53 -0800
(PST))
Dan Mahoney (Gushi) <da...@prime.gushi.org>
is rumored to have said:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>> Does this still occur after a change I made yesterday?  I had a
>> regex that some versions of perl handle and others didn't.
>
> Still ongoing as of a few minutes ago.  If you want full output, let
> me know.
>
> If there's a way to force sa-compile to use gcc or something, that
> would also be useful to know.

Not sure if this is a purely historical point, but for a long while it
was necessary to compile any compiled addons to Perl with the same
compiler that built the main Perl executable. I'm not sure how operative
that is with modern Perl on modern OSs, but it has caused substantial
angst in the MacPorts community fairly recently because prebuilt
binaries and the most common user toolchains on some platforms weren't
consistent.

My point being: if you manage to get sa-compile to use gcc instead of
clang and not generate those weird warnings, you need to be sure that
what you get out of it actually works with your Perl.

Or, particularly with 4.0, you could skip precompiling the rules
altogether. I don't believe that it still provides enough performance
savings to be worth doing on a modern system without memory pressure.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire