Posted to user@arrow.apache.org by Chris Nuernberger <ch...@techascent.com> on 2021/10/22 20:59:18 UTC

JDK-17 support?

Are there plans to support JDK-17?  They have removed the unsafe class or
at least most of its methods so for example I believe the MemoryUtil
<https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/8e43f23dcc6a9e630516228f110c48b64d13cec6/java/memory/memory-core/src/main/java/org/apache/arrow/memory/util/MemoryUtil.java>
class
cannot work the same way - as opposed to going through unsafe to convert
between integers and nio buffers you have to go through
MemoryAddress,Segment and friends.

RE: JDK-17 support?

Posted by Welly Tambunan <co...@wellytambunan.com>.
Hi Jacques,

I recently working on this JDK-17 stuff. I just getting started work on my weekend for this

https://github.com/weltam/arrow/tree/graviton2/graviton2

I do this because previously I managed to port the dremio-oss to graviton2 ( ec2 arm processor from aws)

A couple of rough stuff from the previous experiment is in here

https://github.com/weltam/dremio-oss/tree/graviton2/graviton2

Feel free to check it out.

Cheers

Welly Tambunan

[signature_241398170]

Coaching ∙ Mentoring ∙ Community Building

p : +62.877.7272.9389
e  : coach@wellytambunan.com<ma...@wellytambunan.com>
w : www.wellytambunan.com<http://www.wellytambunan.com/>

[cid:image002.png@01D7C7E2.DBA52AD0]<https://www.udemy.com/user/welly-tambunan/>[cid:image003.png@01D7C7E2.DBA52AD0]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/welly-tambunan>[cid:image004.png@01D7C7E2.DBA52AD0]<https://www.youtube.com/c/wellytambunan>[cid:image005.png@01D7C7E2.DBA52AD0][signature_553890307]<https://www.facebook.com/weltampage>[signature_408612994]

This email message is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, privileged, and non-disclosable information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email immediately and destroy any and all copies of the message.

I don't think anyone is working on this. It would be great for someone to pick up. I would suspect that Netty already has a cross jdk approach to this that we might be able to  either leverage or be inspired by.

I have wondered whether the jdk17 version should be separate for the vector library, based on the vector apis. It'd be great if someone evaluated the benefit/costs of doing such.

Re: JDK-17 support?

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.