Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/08/08 13:27:07 UTC

Special project for newcomers

There is a current project for which newcomers to the OpenOffice team
may be able to make a particularly valuable contribution. The objective
is to find out whether a set of instructions are usable and work. For
this, being unfamiliar with the background is an advantage.

you have not already done so. Review the archive at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/ and read the
thread with subject "[TESTING] Applying openoffice-4.1.2-patch1 for
Windows". I have quoted the base message, which contains the most
important information, below.

Please report success, failure, questions, suggestions etc.

<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/binaries/Windows>.

 > The files to be tested and reviewed are
 >
 >  * README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt
 >    The description of the procedure for applying a corrected
 >    library file to installed copies of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
 >    on Windows.  Read this first before deciding to download
 >    the Zip file and attempting the procedure.
 >
 >  * apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Win_x86.zip
 >    The Zip archive containing the files to be used in the
 >    procedure.  There is a copy of the README within the
 >    archive as well.
 >
 >  * apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Win_x86.zip.asc
 >  * apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Win_x86.zip.md5
 >  * apache-openoffice-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Win_x86.zip.sha256
 >    Files that provide a digital signature, an MD5 hash,
 >    and an SHA256 hash that can be used to verify the
 >    integrity of the download and, in the case of the
 >    digital signature, the authenticity and accuracy of
 >    the download.
 >
 > REQUESTED TESTING
 >
 >  * [OPTIONAL] If you are able to check any of the .asc,
 >    .md5, and .sha256 files against the .zip, report any
 >    difficulties that may have been encountered.
 >
 >  * If you performed the procedure, report
 >     * the version of Microsoft Windows and the type of
 >       account used (administrator or standard user).
 >     * report whether the procedure succeeded
 >     * if the procedure failed or met with difficulties,
 >       please summarize the problems and how you over-
 >       came any of them
 >
 >  * [IMPORTANT] Identify any missing, incomplete or
 >    confusing information in the README.  Describe what you
 >    see as important improvements before making general
 >    release of the procedure for use by non-expert users of
 >    Apache OpenOffice on Windows.
 >
 > The goal is to provide as much as we can to assist Windows users in
applying this fix with confidence and success.  The experience of
more-knowledgable users who appreciate the difficulties of non-experts
is important in achieving that.