Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Se...@london.sema.slb.com> on 2003/06/20 12:44:11 UTC

Which test elements are valid at top-level?

Following on from some discussion in the JMeter User list regarding the use
of Cookie Manager at the top-level of a Test Plan, may I ask:

	which test elements make sense and/or actually work at the top level
in a Test Plan?

At present, one can add just about everything except Logic Controllers and
Samplers.

Listeners might be useful (if they can collate samples from multiple thread
groups?), likewise Config elements and possibly some of the Timers.

But does it makes sense to add Assertions, or Processors at the top level?

If some of the elements are known not to be useful/usable at Test Plan
level, perhaps it would make it simpler for the user if they were removed
from the Add menu?

As far as I can see, there are at least three menu sets (Test Plan, Thread
Group, WorkBench) so changing the Test Plan menu should not affect the
others.

--
The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily endorsed
by my employer ...

Re: Which test elements are valid at top-level?

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
I'm leary of removing assertions and processors just because they don't make sense to us
there.  They would work fine, and someone always seems to come along with a scenario
where that's what they want to do and they're wondering why it was arbitrarily limited.  In
actuality, Cookie Manager's DO work at the Test Plan level, but not to maintain continuity
from a thread in one thread group to a thread in a different threadgroup.  Someone with 28
ThreadGroups might prefer sticking a Cookie Manager in at the Test Plan level and be done
with it - and that would work.

Ideally, we'd have better documentation - but of course, none of us really has the time for
that...

-Mike

On 20 Jun 2003 at 11:44, BAZLEY, Sebastian wrote:

> Following on from some discussion in the JMeter User list regarding the use
> of Cookie Manager at the top-level of a Test Plan, may I ask:
>
> 	which test elements make sense and/or actually work at the top level
> in a Test Plan?
>
> At present, one can add just about everything except Logic Controllers and
> Samplers.
>
> Listeners might be useful (if they can collate samples from multiple thread
> groups?), likewise Config elements and possibly some of the Timers.
>
> But does it makes sense to add Assertions, or Processors at the top level?
>
> If some of the elements are known not to be useful/usable at Test Plan
> level, perhaps it would make it simpler for the user if they were removed
> from the Add menu?
>
> As far as I can see, there are at least three menu sets (Test Plan, Thread
> Group, WorkBench) so changing the Test Plan menu should not affect the
> others.
>
> --
> The opinions expressed herein are my own, and are not necessarily endorsed
> by my employer ...

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya