Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Frank Enders <fr...@averbis.com> on 2014/06/10 14:08:13 UTC

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Hi Jerry,

thanks for the reply!

We have this situation when the broker gets terminated while requests
are currently being processed.
Apparently, those requests neither recover after the broker gets
restarted nor time out when UimaAsynchronousEngine.Timeout is reached.

Is this the expected behaviour when a broker is getting terminated
unexpectedly?

Thanks and all the best
Frank

--
Averbis GmbH
Tennenbacher Straße 11

Fon: +49 (0) 761 - 203 976 92
Fax: +49 (0) 761 - 203 976 94
E-Mail: frank.enders@averbis.com

Geschäftsführer: Dr. med. Philipp Daumke, Dr. Kornél Markó
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg i. Br.
AG Freiburg i. Br., HRB 701080

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Frank, yes the System.exit() is a big problem when deploying UIMA-AS in a
shared JVM.

There is a jvm wide setting to disable calling System.exit(). Use
-DdontKill when starting
Tomcat. It is not a solution, just a hack to get around this problem.

I will investigate if this could be removed. If I recall there are two
scenarios where UIMA-AS
decides to call exit():

1) Catching Java Error (OOM for example). This was put it to force JVM exit
on OOM which does not always happen.
2) AE error threshold (defined in deployment descriptor) is reached.

I'v created a JIRA for the future release of UIMA-AS to engineer a better
solution.

My first thought would be to have the UIMA-AS notify the service
wrapper/container
that it wants to shutdown instead of calling System.exit(). The container
would then
initiate a shutdown to clean things up. If you have any comments on this
please
comment here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-3905

Just FYI, there is a Release Candidate for UIMA-AS 2.6.0 being voted on
now. If there  are
no issues, it will be released soon. There are a number of fixes there to
deal with thread
cleanup.

 Jerry

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Posted by Frank Enders <fr...@averbis.com>.
Hi Jerry,

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Posted by Frank Enders <fr...@averbis.com>.
Hi Jerry,

Re: Hanging UIMA AS requests

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
If the broker dies you will loose all CASes sent to a service. If a service
fails to find a reply queue (broker is gone) it
will just drop the reply, log a message and move on. The temp queue is gone
and even if you restart the broker
the temp queue will not be recovered. The UIMA-AS (both the service and
client) are designed to recover from broker failures
and any new work (after broker restart) will be proceed.

On the UIMA-AS client side make sure you setup a Process timeout. I am not
aware of any issues regarding the client
not timing out if the timeout is used. Is there evidence in the client log
that the internal UIMA-AS timer popped?