Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/12/01 12:12:31 UTC

[commons] structure proposal...

Hi,

here is structure for the SVN, what we would to kickoff today!

/commons/
  -/myfaces-commons-validators/
  -/myfaces-commons-converters/
  -/myfaces-commons-utils/
  -/myfaces-commons-fileupload/
  -TBD

For some pieces, like the converters/validators we are going to use
the Trinidad plugins, as they were already used by the MyFaces Core
1.2.x project.
This allows us to generate configuration files (such as faces-config
and the one for Facelets) and the particular Tag-classes (like for the
JSP-Tags).

The idea is that these JARs are all independent, so that one can just
drop "myfaces-commons-validators.jar" in, if the user is ONLY!
interested in our
extra validators.

We don't remove *existing* code from projects like Tomahawk, yet!

This is just a simple, initial kickoff, to get finally started, since
it was already discussed near to death :-)

What are you thoughts ?

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [commons] structure proposal...

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Anyway, that is ok for me :)

Thanks,

Bruno

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I would say, just go for it. I think we need to setup this the
sooner the better to keep going...

Bruno

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
-1

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Dec 1, 2007 1:06 PM, Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/12/1, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>:
> > > I am fine with that, just, I'd change the name "commons" for
> > > validators/converters/fileupload ....
> >
> > /commons/
> >   -/myfaces-validators
> >   -...
>
> +1

done

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

2007/12/1, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>:
> > I am fine with that, just, I'd change the name "commons" for
> > validators/converters/fileupload ....
>
> /commons/
>   -/myfaces-validators
>   -...

+1

Regards,

  Volker

Re: [commons] structure proposal...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I thought more about
> /commons/
> -/myfaces-commons-utils
> /newprojectname/
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-validators
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-converters
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-ppr
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-grids
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-layouters

what about "creme" as the new name ?
:-)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
once more... to make it clear;
this all is not! final, we can remove/delete/move_it_to_codehaus :-)
every time ;-)

Just a proof of concept.

Thx,
Matthias

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
>> I thought more about
>> /commons/
>> -/myfaces-commons-utils
>> /newprojectname/
>> -/myfaces-newprojectname-validators
>> -/myfaces-newprojectname-converters
>> -/myfaces-newprojectname-ppr
>> -/myfaces-newprojectname-grids
>> -/myfaces-newprojectname-layouters
>>

> no real need for a new project name, IMO

Please notice that "newprojectname" ist not located under "commons"!
The question is, what makes the result of the fission ;-) of tomahawk
and trinidad more "common" than any other project. Why should it deserve
the name "commons"?

> like
> /commons
>  -/myfaces-validator
>      -/api
>      -/impl
>  -/myfaces-converter
>      -/api
>      -/impl
>
> Isn't that a bit to much ?

I think too.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [commons] structure proposal...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I thought more about
> /commons/
> -/myfaces-commons-utils
> /newprojectname/
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-validators
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-converters
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-ppr
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-grids
> -/myfaces-newprojectname-layouters

no real need for a new project name, IMO

> We really should think about that as the long awaited fusion of the best
> possible techniques at myfaces - proven to work together nicely.
>
> > Hrm.. not sure if a *common* PPR is really fine.
> > Trinidad, for instance doesn't need anything from dojo, so we have our
> > very simple and lightweight "ajax"-API.
> >
> Thats the nice thing about modularizing tomahaw/trinidad. If one would
> like to use our ppr, adding our jar would be enough, and ...
>
> > So, adding dojo, as a common mechanism to Trinidad, is not really
> > something, I am thrilled about.
> >
> ... it is not put in stone that the ppr project above is based on the
> tomahawk-sandbox-ppr. BTW: If a component itself is ajaxable without any
> additional ppr lib it should work too.
>
> > but, we can bring this up in the future, current goal is, to just
> > kickoff the base
> > of commons.
> >
> As the discussion has come so far - I think - the least common
> denominator is just the myfaces-commons-utils project and even there it

that is pretty uninteresting stuff, to just have these utils.
The real benefit is "more" mature things like upload, converter,...

> seems we are not able to work out if we should split it into -api/-impl.
> Sorry to have to say that.

like
/commons
 -/myfaces-validator
     -/api
     -/impl
 -/myfaces-converter
     -/api
     -/impl

Isn't that a bit to much ?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I am fine with that, just, I'd change the name "commons" for
> validators/converters/fileupload ....

/commons/
  -/myfaces-validators
  -...
or what ?

> This new project has the potential then to hold the best of
> trinidad/tomahawk/tobago (if possible - think about
> myfaces-XXX-layouters) ... it deserves a better name than just commons, no?
>
> -/myfaces-XXX-tables
> -/myfaces-XXX-ppr

Hrm.. not sure if a *common* PPR is really fine.
Trinidad, for instance doesn't need anything from dojo, so we have our
very simple and lightweight "ajax"-API.
So, adding dojo, as a common mechanism to Trinidad, is not really
something, I am thrilled about.
That would be too much overhead.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!