Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/11/20 07:06:37 UTC

Microsoft Tools for Windows Builds

Another conversation came up (on [libre-office]) on how to find the installed
VC++ software from within cygwin.  The attempted approach involved
mucking-about in the Windows Registry in order to track down the tools.  That
struck me as the long way around.  The Windows Developer Tools themselves are
able to bootstrap command-line environments using a few environment variables
and some batch scripts as levers.

I also confirmed that when cygwin starts up, it absorbs the path and
environment variables that exist at the time.

This preconditioning seems much healthier than attempting to reach out from
cygwin into the Windows environment.

Here's how I demonstrated it working.

 1.  I have batch scripts that I use to launch console windows with the Visual
C++ environment all set up.  One is the attached MyVC++.bat.txt (with the .txt
removed).  It creates the correct path, environment variables, etc., for a
VC++ command-line build.

 2. The second batch script, VCygwin.bat.txt (without the .txt) is placed in
my C:\cygwin folder where I can run it whenever I want a cygwin environment
that is already set up to use VC++.  (A copy of MyVC++.bat is placed in the
same folder with the original cygwin.bat script and the modified VCygwin.bat.)

 3. What I get when the cygwin is started using VCygwin.bat is shown in the
attached PNG file.  (In the illustrated case, I am using a MyVC++.bat that
sets up VC++ 2010 Express Edition, what I have installed on the same machine I
just added cygwin to.)

 4. This same principle can be used to create a setup that uses additional
included files and libraries of the Windows SDK and the ATL include files and
libraries of the Windows DDK.  It is setup before cygwin is started and the
settings and tools are then available for the entire session.

That's how I would do it. (I need to test the same idea to see if it works
with the bash shell in the Windows Posix SUA subsystem.)

There's more too it of course because of the way the Windows file system is
mapped for access under cygwin and how commands to the VC++ command-line
compiler are created.  But that must be done somehow either way.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
It looks like the Windows 7 slave should work, depending on what version is installed.

  That would be a place to use one of the MSDN subscriptions (assuming the license allows it as a server function).  One nice feature of the more-recents sets of tools is the ability to have side-by-side installs of different development-tool versions.  (The different command-line setup scripts establish the ones used in a given situation.)

 - Dennis

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Your goal is certainly the ideal.place to be. So no MSDN at t his time,
remember it is there if you brick walls.

Thanks

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW;

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hi Dennis,

On 21.11.2011 18:37, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Andre,
>
> I have my own interests in this kind of construction setup for Windows builds.  I offered my snippets in case they are also useful in streamlining the Windows build case for Apache OpenOffice.
>
> I only did a little proof of concept to confirm that the settings are conveyed into a cygwin session properly.   There could always be a show-stopper later on.  Something I didn't dig into was setting up the command-line parameters to the tools such that tool-understandable paths (not cygwin ones?) are used.  I assume that already has a solution and the make processor that is run under cygwin has no problem.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> MORE ARM-CHAIR ANALYSIS
>
> It seemed to me that the way cygwin is used to find the necessary dependencies among the Microsoft development tools is fragile and, seemingly, too much black art.  I based that on observation of some folks having difficulty with getting builds to work in various cases (at LO and here).
>
> It seems easier, and better for those who just want to do builds for QA,

I am not sure how a QA build differs from a developer build (other then
in a debug flag maybe)

> to establish the tool-dependency connections before starting the build under cygwin at all.

configure should basically do that, making sure that everything needed
for a build exists before starting the actual build.  If you or anybody
else finds a better way to detect the right MS tools than we should
adapt the automake/configure tool chain accordingly.  What we not should
do is to have two different detection routines that may lead to
different results.  Otherwise the first check may tell the user that
everything is OK and then configure complains about eg a missing compiler.

 > This can be by setting up and confirming the tool-required
environment variables and path settings first.  It is relatively easy to
do and the Microsoft tools already have scripts that help without any
registry dependencies required.  It should also be easier for an user to
trouble-shoot.

It would be great if the Windows tools detection could be improved.

> That way an user can choose which versions of the tools to use when many are installed side-by-side on the same system and also know before starting a build process that the tools are reachable.

Ah, are you talking about an interactive tool?  Which lists all sane
combinations of tools and when the user has made her choice, configure
is run with the selected values and prepares the build?
I would like that.

-Andre

PS: I am sorry about broken formatting of quotes.  My mail application
(Thunderbird) can not handle your long lines very well :-)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Andre,

[...]

It seems easier, and better for those who just want to do builds for QA, to establish the tool-dependency connections before starting the build under cygwin at all.  This can be by setting up and confirming the tool-required environment variables and path settings first.  It is relatively easy to do and the Microsoft tools already have scripts that help without any registry dependencies required.  It should also be easier for an user to trouble-shoot.

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hallo Dennis,