Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/02 08:39:08 UTC

Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking how many concurrent jobs a single Resource Manager might be
able to manage? Following is my understanding, please correct me if I am
wrong.

Let's say if we have 1000 concurrent jobs running. Resource Manager will
have 1000 records in memory to manage these jobs. And it will also have
1000 threads, where each thread is waiting for one job to finish.

The memory part will probably be ok. For the 1000 threads, will there be
any potential problem?

Thanks,
Bo

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Looks great that YARN is mature enough to support so large cluster. It
gives me more confidence to use :)

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Bo

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

I don't have the exact number about the max concurrent job. FYI, RM is
multip-threaded, but the threads are working for different purpose. For
example, scheduler and rmstatestore has their separate thread, and RPC
calls are on individual threads as well. It's complicated to evaluate the
upper bound of concurrent apps, but I've heard of the YARN cluster
deployment on a cluster of thousands of nodes.

Thanks,
Zhijie

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhijie,
>
> That is great to know. Thanks!
>
> So there seems no be much limit to support large concurrency. To move this
> question further, what might be the max number of concurrent jobs which one
> Resource Manager could support? Is there any numbers from your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Bo
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bo,
>>
>> RM doesn't create an individual thread for each running app. The app life
>> cycle management is event driven. There's a dispatcher, which runs on one
>> thread to handle the events for all apps.
>>
>> Zhijie
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I am thinking how many concurrent jobs a single Resource Manager might
>>> be able to manage? Following is my understanding, please correct me if I am
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Let's say if we have 1000 concurrent jobs running. Resource Manager will
>>> have 1000 records in memory to manage these jobs. And it will also have
>>> 1000 threads, where each thread is waiting for one job to finish.
>>>
>>> The memory part will probably be ok. For the 1000 threads, will there be
>>> any potential problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bo
>>>

>> --
>> Zhijie Shen
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

I don't have the exact number about the max concurrent job. FYI, RM is
multip-threaded, but the threads are working for different purpose. For
example, scheduler and rmstatestore has their separate thread, and RPC
calls are on individual threads as well. It's complicated to evaluate the
upper bound of concurrent apps, but I've heard of the YARN cluster
deployment on a cluster of thousands of nodes.

Thanks,
Zhijie

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhijie,
>
> That is great to know. Thanks!
>
> So there seems no be much limit to support large concurrency. To move this
> question further, what might be the max number of concurrent jobs which one
> Resource Manager could support? Is there any numbers from your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Bo
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bo,
>>
>> RM doesn't create an individual thread for each running app. The app life
>> cycle management is event driven. There's a dispatcher, which runs on one
>> thread to handle the events for all apps.
>>
>> Zhijie
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I am thinking how many concurrent jobs a single Resource Manager might
>>> be able to manage? Following is my understanding, please correct me if I am
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Let's say if we have 1000 concurrent jobs running. Resource Manager will
>>> have 1000 records in memory to manage these jobs. And it will also have
>>> 1000 threads, where each thread is waiting for one job to finish.
>>>
>>> The memory part will probably be ok. For the 1000 threads, will there be
>>> any potential problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bo
>>>

>> --
>> Zhijie Shen
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

I don't have the exact number about the max concurrent job. FYI, RM is
multip-threaded, but the threads are working for different purpose. For
example, scheduler and rmstatestore has their separate thread, and RPC
calls are on individual threads as well. It's complicated to evaluate the
upper bound of concurrent apps, but I've heard of the YARN cluster
deployment on a cluster of thousands of nodes.

Thanks,
Zhijie

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhijie,
>
> That is great to know. Thanks!
>
> So there seems no be much limit to support large concurrency. To move this
> question further, what might be the max number of concurrent jobs which one
> Resource Manager could support? Is there any numbers from your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Bo
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bo,
>>
>> RM doesn't create an individual thread for each running app. The app life
>> cycle management is event driven. There's a dispatcher, which runs on one
>> thread to handle the events for all apps.
>>
>> Zhijie
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I am thinking how many concurrent jobs a single Resource Manager might
>>> be able to manage? Following is my understanding, please correct me if I am
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Let's say if we have 1000 concurrent jobs running. Resource Manager will
>>> have 1000 records in memory to manage these jobs. And it will also have
>>> 1000 threads, where each thread is waiting for one job to finish.
>>>
>>> The memory part will probably be ok. For the 1000 threads, will there be
>>> any potential problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bo
>>>

>> --
>> Zhijie Shen
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

I don't have the exact number about the max concurrent job. FYI, RM is
multip-threaded, but the threads are working for different purpose. For
example, scheduler and rmstatestore has their separate thread, and RPC
calls are on individual threads as well. It's complicated to evaluate the
upper bound of concurrent apps, but I've heard of the YARN cluster
deployment on a cluster of thousands of nodes.

Thanks,
Zhijie

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhijie,
>
> That is great to know. Thanks!
>
> So there seems no be much limit to support large concurrency. To move this
> question further, what might be the max number of concurrent jobs which one
> Resource Manager could support? Is there any numbers from your experience?
>
> Thanks,
> Bo
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bo,
>>
>> RM doesn't create an individual thread for each running app. The app life
>> cycle management is event driven. There's a dispatcher, which runs on one
>> thread to handle the events for all apps.
>>
>> Zhijie
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM, bo yang <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I am thinking how many concurrent jobs a single Resource Manager might
>>> be able to manage? Following is my understanding, please correct me if I am
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Let's say if we have 1000 concurrent jobs running. Resource Manager will
>>> have 1000 records in memory to manage these jobs. And it will also have
>>> 1000 threads, where each thread is waiting for one job to finish.
>>>
>>> The memory part will probably be ok. For the 1000 threads, will there be
>>> any potential problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bo
>>>

>> --
>> Zhijie Shen
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by bo yang <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhijie,

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Any issue with large concurrency due to single active instance of YARN Resource Manager?

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bo,

--
Zhijie Shen