Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Richard <le...@xmission.com> on 2009/04/04 18:57:55 UTC

how to migrate from subversion to TFS with svnbridge?

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate a subversion repository from sourceforge to
codeplex.  Codeplex uses Team Foundation Server but provides
subversion support through 'svnbridge'.

I'm trying to do the migration with a preservation of all the edit
history.  From reading subversion documentation, I see two ways I
could migrate from one subversion repository to another:

- svnadmin dump, svnadmin load
- svnsync

svnadmin only works with local paths and not repository URLs.  It
seems like *exactly* what I need, but I need a tool that works with
URLs and not local paths.

svnsync requires the revision properties hook to be configured on the
target repository.  Since this isn't a 'real' subversion repository in
my case, but really TFS exposed through the svnbridge, I can't
configure svn hooks on the target, so svnsync errors out.

Any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Re: how to migrate from subversion to TFS with svnbridge?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 4, 2009, at 13:57, Richard wrote:

> I'm trying to migrate a subversion repository from sourceforge to
> codeplex.  Codeplex uses Team Foundation Server but provides
> subversion support through 'svnbridge'.
>
> I'm trying to do the migration with a preservation of all the edit
> history.  From reading subversion documentation, I see two ways I
> could migrate from one subversion repository to another:
>
> - svnadmin dump, svnadmin load
> - svnsync
>
> svnadmin only works with local paths and not repository URLs.  It
> seems like *exactly* what I need, but I need a tool that works with
> URLs and not local paths.
>
> svnsync requires the revision properties hook to be configured on the
> target repository.  Since this isn't a 'real' subversion repository in
> my case, but really TFS exposed through the svnbridge, I can't
> configure svn hooks on the target, so svnsync errors out.
>
> Any ideas how I can solve this problem?

I suggest you ask Codeplex how they want you to import your existing
Subversion repository into their system.

Re: how to migrate from subversion to TFS with svnbridge?

Posted by Vassilis Rizopoulos <da...@freemail.gr>.
Richard wrote:
> In article <9D...@ryandesign.com>,
>     Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>  writes:
>

>> I suggest you ask Codeplex how they want you to import your existing
>> Subversion repository into their system.
>>

> svnsync was the suggestion, which doesn't operate entirely within the
> bounds of what a pure client can do -- it requires a hook.  Codeplex
> isn't a subversion guru outfit.  I'm asking here because this is where
> the subversion gurus are located.
>
> Actually, my whole problem would be solved if svnadmin dump/load
> worked with URLs and not just paths.
>
> Why doesn't svnadmin dump/load work with URLs?

Because svndump works on repositories on the filesystem (e.g. the
administration) level. The result of an svn load is a repository, hardly
what you want when moving to TFS.
You actually need a TFS Guru since that is your target system. Codeplex
does not provide svn support, it allows you to use TotroiseSVN (instead
of the insanely unusable VS source control client) against TFS repositories.
I have to tell you, since you are moving from svn to TFS: welcome to a
world of pain.
I have rarely encountered a worst SCM experience then the one I have to
daily deal with TFS - to my knowledge only VSS was worse (and I've
worked with ClearCase, RCS, CVS, Perforce, svn, mercurial and git :) )
For the flame record, I am not a huge svn fan, but it beats working with
TFS anytime.

To your problem: Unless you find a ready made migration solution out
there (I haven't found one) you'll have to put your own together. This
http://migrationsynctoolkit.codeplex.com/ might help.
Cheers,
V.-

--